Wireless Setup - options and recommendations please

Old September 5th 03, 12:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt Appleby-Dawson

Default Wireless Setup - options and recommendations please

I am moving house this weekend and want to replace my existing wireless
setup (linksys Wap11 AP and 3 x linksys WUSB11 network adapters 2x USR PCI
USR812216 22Mbps and 1 Linksys PCMCIA WPC11). I'm going to give my dad my
existing setup (except the USR cards as they are still boxed and not used
yet)

I want to get the fastest, cheapest and most reliable way of doing so, I'm
wary about getting another linksys setup as my current one hasnt been the
easiest to work with various fault including
WAP11AP PSU dying 2 twice
The WAP11AP was replaced FOUR times in two months as they just died
WAP11AP locking up once or twice a week - requiring a power cycle
PCMCIA card has never worked for more than five minutes before losing
connection with AP even when sitting next to it!
Connection to AP to/from all machines losing connection for 10 seconds
approx every two hours... no good for my downloads!

As I said I'm moving this weekend so would like to have my new set up as
soon as possible, it will give me summat to do whilst the better half
unpacks..

What equipment do people recommend at a price that's reasonable for a
reliable setup? I need:

1 x Wireless Access Point,
2 x PCI Network Adapters
1x PCMCIA Network Adapter

I don't need the AP to have built in ADSL modem or DHCP, but the faster the
better with backward compatibility for slower cards

Thanks for any help

Matt

Old September 5th 03, 04:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:48:48 +0100, "Matt Appleby-Dawson"
wrote:

I am moving house this weekend and want to replace my existing wireless
setup (linksys Wap11 AP and 3 x linksys WUSB11 network adapters 2x USR PCI
USR812216 22Mbps and 1 Linksys PCMCIA WPC11). I'm going to give my dad my
existing setup (except the USR cards as they are still boxed and not used
yet)

I want to get the fastest, cheapest and most reliable way of doing so,

What equipment do people recommend at a price that's reasonable for a
reliable setup? I need:

1 x Wireless Access Point,
2 x PCI Network Adapters
1x PCMCIA Network Adapter

here in the UK I recently bought a 802.11g Netgear AP and PC card, it
was on special offer of PC card at half price.

Works fine, easy to set up. Good signal and range - been about 60 feet
awat at top of garden and network still accessible.

Geoff Lane