Length of crossover cable

Old September 5th 03, 05:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Default Length of crossover cable

I am going to be networking two PC's together, and will require approx
30m of cable.

Is this a workable length for a crossover cable, or would I do better to
hub the PC's? There are no plans for an expansion of the network.

TIA

Old September 5th 03, 11:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:42:24 +0100, TX2
wrote:

I am going to be networking two PC's together, and will require approx
30m of cable.

Is this a workable length for a crossover cable, or would I do better to
hub the PC's? There are no plans for an expansion of the network.

TIA

Assuming that the network cards work correctly with a crossover cable
(some may not), that shouldn't be a problem.

You may want to use wall sockets to break the long cable run up, then
use a standard patch cable to connect one PC to its wall socket, and a
crossover cable to connect the other PC to its wall socket.
(Patch cables are cheaper to replace than 30 metre lengths of Cat5,
and the solid core Cat5 you'll probably use for the long run doesn't
take kindly to being flexed).
--
At my previous house I had a pair of mockingirds who lived in the front
yard and would dive-bomb door-to-door salesmen.

I love mockingbirds.