Can this be done

Old September 6th 03, 01:43 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking
Fitzy_bhoy

Default Can this be done

This is just an idea that i have but can anyone tell me if it is practical.
I am not very tech minded when it comes to networks so if you could just
keep it simple please (hope that doesn;t sound rude)

My dad has broadband and I don't. Can I dial up and access his programs, run
them and save the contents to a folder on his disk drive and then burn them
to cd at a later date. For example I would like to run Grabit from my
computer, but download the lists from his server (blueyonder), and then save
the binaries to his comp.
Hope this makes sense. I know I could program his ip address and access the
computer that way.

Old September 6th 03, 02:13 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking
Fitzy_bhoy

"pcbutts1" wrote in message
.net...
You can do it with XP.

--

Meant to add that I have XP he has 98SE

Old September 6th 03, 02:15 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking
DC

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:43:18 +0100, Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
This is just an idea that i have but can anyone tell me if it is practical.
I am not very tech minded when it comes to networks so if you could just
keep it simple please (hope that doesn;t sound rude)

My dad has broadband and I don't. Can I dial up and access his programs, run
them and save the contents to a folder on his disk drive and then burn them
to cd at a later date. For example I would like to run Grabit from my
computer, but download the lists from his server (blueyonder), and then save
the binaries to his comp.
Hope this makes sense. I know I could program his ip address and access the
computer that way.

Install Grabit on *his* computer and use TightVNC (free).

--
DC

C:\no\more\of\this\fuc~1\bullsh~1
Old September 6th 03, 03:01 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking
pcbutts1

With 98 no. Do what DC said.

"Fitzy_bhoy" wrote in message
news

"pcbutts1" wrote in message
.net...
You can do it with XP.

--

Meant to add that I have XP he has 98SE

Old September 6th 03, 11:26 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Small point: you can't access the programs on one computer from another
computer (except possibly for the very latest generation of software
developed with .NET). This is because most software has key information
stored in the "registry" (a system database) on the machine on which it is
installed.

Main point: Sounds to me that you should network the two computers, and set
up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). This would enable you to surf through
his (running) computer at broadband speeds. If he chooses to share a folder
with you, then you could store your information on his machine (and vice
versa).

ICS is easier to set up when the "host" computer is XP, but it can be done
(more fiddly) the other way round.

Here are a few links for more information:
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/networking/ics_4.htm
http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

PS: How come Dad is stuck with W98SE while you get the XP box? He must be
going soft.

--
######################
## PH, London ##

Old September 6th 03, 12:43 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Worth adding a comment on hardwa

You'd need to link the machines by wireless, ethernet or USB. Wireless is
pricey (100 +) but would allow you to have the machines in different rooms.
If you have ethernet cards on both machines, then a single "crossover" cable
(or a crossover adapter to convert a plain ethernet cable) will be enough.
Can't find a crossover cable on maplin.co.uk this morning, but they have an
adapter (code A22BA).

I've never tried USB networking, but that's also a possibility. Maplin
again: see product A28BF - 20).

--
## PH, London ##