running cables under floor, help !

Old September 6th 03, 04:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dave Stanton

Default running cables under floor, help !

Hi

My brother in law is moving into a older type house and we need to run
some network cables under the floor boards to different rooms. Luckily,
these are real tongue and grove floorboards, not sheets of chipboard. What
is the best, quickest, easy way to cut the tongues of the boards to enable
them to be lifted and then refitted, as my sister wants to retain the floor
boards and not fit carpets.
I know you networking guys will have been there before.

cheers

Dave

Old September 6th 03, 08:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
neil

a strong knife
at a angel to the board that you want to get up \-----/

"Nic O'Demus" wrote in message

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article . co.uk,
says...
My brother in law is moving into a older type house and we need to run
some network cables under the floor boards to different rooms.

Luckily,
these are real tongue and grove floorboards, not sheets of chipboard.

What
is the best, quickest, easy way to cut the tongues of the boards to

enable
them to be lifted and then refitted, as my sister wants to retain the

floor
boards and not fit carpets.

I just run a circular saw along the gap. If you're careful it will be
straight, but it can end up wide enough to be a bit too obvious - maybe
not a problem if you do it along the edge of the floor, or where it will
be mostly covered by a rug or furniture. It's neater than using a
chisel, and a lot less work than a hand saw. If it's on the ground

floor
you might be able to get under the floor by lifting a few boards in an
alcove where it won't be so obvious, and run the cables under the

joists,
if it's on the top floor you might prefer running the cables in the

attic
and chasing out the walls - it's easier to patch plaster than make good
an old wooden floor.

I use a jigsaw rather than circular - kerf is much smaller. If you plan it
carefully
you only need to cut the tongue on one board in order to remove it.
Adjoining
boards can then be lifted (carefully) using any/all of claw
hammer/bolster/wrecking
bar or other suitable tools. Depending on the layout of the floorboards,

it
is sometimes
easier to removing skirting where required. If lifting a lot of boards,

mark
the underside
so that they go back in the proper order. Beware of underfloor services
(electric, water etc).
When relaying try to avoid gaps and subsequent drafts. Where unavoidable,
tack
some polythene or dpc underneath where the gap will eventually be.
HTH
Good luck

Nic.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old September 7th 03, 12:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:07:36 +0100, dave Stanton
wrote:

My brother in law is moving into a older type house and we need to run
some network cables under the floor boards to different rooms. Luckily,
these are real tongue and grove floorboards, not sheets of chipboard. What
is the best, quickest, easy way to cut the tongues of the boards to enable
them to be lifted and then refitted, as my sister wants to retain the floor
boards and not fit carpets.
I know you networking guys will have been there before.

Okey, you should be able to lift an area of floor quite easily once
one board has been taken up. If the property has central heating
you'll almost certainly find some boards have been taken up and
refixed to lay pipes for this, and the boards will probably come up
again quite nicely.

Be VERY VERY careful when using saws, powered or otherwise to cut
boards. Although cables *should* be layed deep enough to avoid being
hit they rarely are on rewire jobs and may well be loose layed in
notches on the top of the joists. Trust me, you do not want to cut a
mains cable. It hurts.

I've found it generally just goes bang :-)

Likewise a central heating pipe would spoil
your day too.

That's why I like a circular saw - set the cut depth to slightly less
than the thickness of the boards and you'd need to be very unlucky to hit
anything, plus it sails over joists and through nails.

If you're trying to pass cabled through joists, drill the holes as
small as you can, into the middle third of the joist where possible,
as this area is under less stress than the top/bottom.

I wish more people would take note of this, but I guess it's too much
hassle to do it properly so they just weaken the structure rather than
using the right tools and techniques.

Old September 7th 03, 06:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dave Stanton

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Dave