AOL Broadband and home networking with a broadband router

Old September 7th 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
What The!!!

Default AOL Broadband and home networking with a broadband router

I have a friend who is getting AOL broadband on a couple of weeks,
Apparently he has been told by AOL tech Supp, that you cannot use a
broadband router with AOL. My friend wants to do this as he has 2 pc's in
the house, and is understandably miffed at this. Can anyone offer any advice
please .
BTW I have a 'normal' ISP that doesn't interfere with my pc like AOL does,
and set up a home network no problem, and thats why he now wants to do it.

TIA

Old September 7th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"What The!!!" wrote in
:

I have a friend who is getting AOL broadband on a couple of
weeks, Apparently he has been told by AOL tech Supp, that you
cannot use a broadband router with AOL. My friend wants to do
this as he has 2 pc's in the house, and is understandably miffed
at this. Can anyone offer any advice please .
BTW I have a 'normal' ISP that doesn't interfere with my pc
like AOL does,
and set up a home network no problem, and thats why he now wants
to do it.

I enquired about this recently for one of my customers.

AOL doesn't support it. The router manufacturer (Netgear in this
case) doesn't support it. I gave it up because, against those odds,
I sure as hell can't support it.

[You may find snippets on the web that suggest it can be done: but
it appears these apply to AOL broadband in the US, not this side of
the pond.]

This is but one of many 'features' that differentiate AOL from the
rest of the Internet.

--
BRG
===
Old September 7th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , malcb37
@Nospamhere.blueyonder.co.uk says...
I have a friend who is getting AOL broadband on a couple of weeks,
Apparently he has been told by AOL tech Supp, that you cannot use a
broadband router with AOL. My friend wants to do this as he has 2 pc's in
the house, and is understandably miffed at this. Can anyone offer any advice
please .

Use a different provider. AOL is not an ISP, they are a content
provider with internet connectivity. THey use a closed proprietry
system which basically means you can't share the connection the normal
way. You'll have nothing but grief. Either convince him to change to
one of the many cheaper ADSL providers or walk away from it.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
________________________
Old September 9th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"John" wrote in :

Newsgroups: uk.comp.home-networking
Subject: AOL Broadband and home networking with a broadband