ADSL Router operating with 62dB loss good?

Old September 7th 03, 03:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default ADSL Router operating with 62dB loss good?

I'm looking for a router with a good ability to keep signals well.

Draytek UK support tell me that there have been users reportedly using a
2600 with up to 62Db loss on the line...

How does this compare with other routers, for example the Solwise SAR 715 or
the Origo ASR-8400?

Thanks in advance....

tHatDudeUK.

Old September 7th 03, 06:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , THatDudeUK
wrote:
I'm looking for a router with a good ability to keep signals well.

Draytek UK support tell me that there have been users reportedly using a
2600 with up to 62Db loss on the line...

Could be true. The latest firmware is available in two versions, one for
"normal" connections, and one for "difficult" ones, so perhaps there are
some adjustments to the way it works with weak signals.

A 62dB loss means the signal voltage is reduced to 1/1259th of its
original value, so it's quite an impressive achievement.

Rod.

Old September 7th 03, 06:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"chris" wrote in message
Hmm, what's the exact loss on your line? Remember a loss of 62dBm with
ADSL enabled on the line is a real loss of around 57-58dBm.

I have the Alcatel frog so I don't think I can tell. Just I'm upgrading to a
1mb service and I'm aware I'm quite a distance from the exchange so I want
the best chance of getting a good working router with the signal on my line.

Old September 7th 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Could be true. The latest firmware is available in two versions, one for
"normal" connections, and one for "difficult" ones, so perhaps there are
some adjustments to the way it works with weak signals.

A 62dB loss means the signal voltage is reduced to 1/1259th of its
original value, so it's quite an impressive achievement.

So is this perhaps better than other ADSL routers available?

I really have litle knowledge about this sort of stuff. All I know is I'm
quite a distance from the exchange and I want a stable reliable connection
:-)

Thanks for your help.

Old September 7th 03, 07:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Josey" wrote in message
I think you are in for some disapointment. 62db is only just acceptable

for
in-service attenuation for a half meg RADSL.

No chance of getting 1Mb.

I am on the ER trial and have a line with around 61db in-service

attenuation
and the SAR110 router works on it just fine, at 576/288, no rate adaption,
with few errors and an SNR of 20db.

I'm not quoting the signal level on my line. I'm asking which router will
operate best with a lower than usual signal. This is because I'm only just
within the acceptable distance for 1/2mb services.

As I said, I'm not aware of any method of determining the signal level on my
line with an Alcatel frog and even if I could there's no signal currently on
my line as I cancelled the last provider and am waiting to be activated.

Old September 7th 03, 08:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"chris" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:29:52 +0100 and in article [email protected]
158809.news.uni-berlin.de, tHatDudeUK said...
: I'm not quoting the signal level on my line. I'm asking which router

will
: operate best with a lower than usual signal. This is because I'm only

just
: within the acceptable distance for 1/2mb services.
:
Historically Alcatel's are very good at holding a weak signal.

Only thing is very poor support and updates for the Thomson Speedtouch 510
(Thomson took over Alcatel) therefore considering a Draytek Vigor 2600.

The poster Roderick Stewart appears to believe a router that is capable of
operating with up to 62db loss is "an impressive achievement" therefore I
think that helped me make my choice.

Old September 7th 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , THatDudeUK wrote:
Could be true. The latest firmware is available in two versions, one for
"normal" connections, and one for "difficult" ones, so perhaps there are
some adjustments to the way it works with weak signals.

A 62dB loss means the signal voltage is reduced to 1/1259th of its
original value, so it's quite an impressive achievement.

So is this perhaps better than other ADSL routers available?

I really have litle knowledge about this sort of stuff. All I know is I'm
quite a distance from the exchange and I want a stable reliable connection
:-)

I'm not sure how much use my experience can be to you because I've only just
been connected a few days ago, and my line has a loop loss of only 30dB, so
everything works just fine for me, and would probably work with a cheaper
modem. However, the availability of two versions of firmware for the Draytek
does seem to suggest that they've thought about this. The reason I went for
this particular unit is that it is one of the most configurable ones, and
incorporates a firewall. The setups can be accessed via a web browser, which
I don't think is usual, making them easy to mess about with. I've been
experimenting with the firewall filters and only beginning to realise what a
comprehensive piece of kit this is. If you just want something to set and
forget, then your needs will be different, but part of my reason for getting
into ADSL was to learn about it, so I've probably got something that if I
were honest is more complicated than I need, but it's interesting and fun.

Rod.

Old September 7th 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
Looking at specific message boards to this router suggests that the 510 v4
has been due a firmware update for ages (which allows firewall

configuration
via GUI) but apparently they ignore e-mails and there is supposedly a v4.2
hardware release soon which seems to mean there's going to be a recreation
of the v3.7 - v4.0 thing whereby they make a newer one and forget the
older one and leave the people in the dark with no fiurther firmware
updates.

Do you have a url for the v4--v4.2 information?

Regards
Sunil

Old September 8th 03, 12:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"tHatDudeUK" wrote:

"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
in the spedtouch 510 forum at
http://forums.dslsupport.co.uk/default.asp, there is a thread that has

been
running for months about this. All speculation though, I haven't seen

any
definate information on the new firmware. In fact, its getting to the

stage
where I'm thinking of scripting something to run on an apache web server

control the firewall.

I'm sure I saw a post somewhere by someone claiming to be a Speedtouch
support person somewhere which said to wait for v4.2 in a short while. I
remember this was posted many months ago but can't remember where :-S
Sorry...

Yes, I have heard mention of this too. The roumer I have heard is that it
will be this year (can't remember where I heard it, probably on the
dslsupport forums). However, before that I heard August, and before that I
heard July so my patience is waring thin. Especially a I could probably
knock up a webmin plugin in a few weeks.

--

Martin