DSL or ADSL Modem

Old September 7th 03, 11:57 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default DSL or ADSL Modem

I might be getting confused here but am I correct in my belief that a
DSL modem connects to a cable whereas an ADSL modem connects to a
phone line.

Reason I ask is that I will soon be obtaining a broadband connection
via the normal phone line - ADSL., I intend getting a router for use
with my present wired LAN, switched hub and wireless AP

My present Netgear wireless Access Point appears to suggest that it
must be plugged in to a cable/dsl modem or hub, if I purchase an ADSL
router I presume it can plug in to that.

Geoff Lane

Old September 7th 03, 11:58 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Chatb^o^y

ADSL and DSL are pretty much the same thing.

DSL: Digital Subscriber line
ADSL: Asynchronus Digital Subscriber Line

As simple as that. If it was cable it would be a Cable modem, not DSL or
anything with DSL in it. And your modem gonna be plug in your WAN port on
the Netgear router.

Hope your less confuse now!

Remi

Old September 8th 03, 12:20 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x]

DSL and ADSL are generally both used to describe the same service, just
depends on who is talking. DSL is actually a different class of service
than ADSL but I don't know of many ISPs who are offering true DSL service.

For cable internet you need a cable modem, an entirely different proposition
from either DSL or ADSL.

Your ADSL provider should provide you with the modem you need to connect
from your ADSL line to the router. You can't just plug an ADSL line into a
router unless the router also contains the modem you need and the modem is
compatible with your service provider's equipment.

--
Richard G. Harper (MVP Win9x)
* PLEASE post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may

Old September 8th 03, 12:42 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Geoff Lane wrote in
:

I might be getting confused here but am I correct in my belief
that a DSL modem connects to a cable whereas an ADSL modem
connects to a phone line.

Not correct. DSL is just a more generic name than ADSL for
basically the same thing: broadband over a phone line. Cable also
uses a modem but it is different.

Reason I ask is that I will soon be obtaining a broadband
connection via the normal phone line - ADSL., I intend getting a
router for use with my present wired LAN, switched hub and
wireless AP

There are two main types of router relevant to your situation:
(1) "Cable/DSL router" which requires a separate modem appropriate
to the broadband connection - in your case an ADSL modem.
(2) "ADSL router" which has a built-in ADSL modem.

If your ISP will supply an ADSL modem with an Ethernet interface, a
type(1) router will do the biz. Otherwise you'll need type(2) and
you can deploy the ISP's modem as a doorstop.

My present Netgear wireless Access Point appears to suggest that
it must be plugged in to a cable/dsl modem or hub, if I purchase
an ADSL router I presume it can plug in to that.

Correct.

--
BRG
===
Old September 8th 03, 02:25 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:57:06 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Reason I ask is that I will soon be obtaining a broadband connection
via the normal phone line - ADSL., I intend getting a router for use
with my present wired LAN, switched hub and wireless AP

If you want one which incorporates the pppoa requirements (ie you
don't need a separate adsl modem) then have a look at the Vigor2600
http://www.seg.co.uk/products/a_vigor2600.html

Jim.

Old September 8th 03, 09:20 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

Reason I ask is that I will soon be obtaining a broadband connection
via the normal phone line - ADSL., I intend getting a router for use
with my present wired LAN, switched hub and wireless AP

If you want one which incorporates the pppoa requirements (ie you
don't need a separate adsl modem) then have a look at the Vigor2600
http://www.seg.co.uk/products/a_vigor2600.html

Looks impressive - I've never heard of Vigor, where did you get to
hear of them.

Geoff Lane

Old September 8th 03, 09:26 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

I might be getting confused here but am I correct in my belief that a
DSL modem connects to a cable whereas an ADSL modem connects to a
phone line.

My present Netgear wireless Access Point appears to suggest that it
must be plugged in to a cable/dsl modem or hub, if I purchase an ADSL
router I presume it can plug in to that.

Thanks for all the info, all is becoming clearer now.

I know manufacturers can often subtly change the name of certain
facilities and confuse potential customers.

I think I missed out in my original post referernce to my purchasing
an ASDL modem as well.

It is my intention to set up hopefully as follows; Phone Line - ASDL
modem - router - and then to the router connect my present wireless
AP and switched hub.

Geoff Lane

Old September 8th 03, 09:38 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Dormer

Might be of interest in explzaing the different types of DSL, ADSL, HSDL etc
http://www.eto.org.uk/faq/faqtterm.htm

Regards
Mark Dormer

Old September 8th 03, 09:47 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:20:56 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Looks impressive - I've never heard of Vigor, where did you get to
hear of them.

My own dsl router is a Seg AR601. When I asked Seg Communications why
I couldn't get another one they said they had been discontinued in
favour of the newer Vigor routers with more features. Since then a
friend has bought a couple to do some VPN routing between his two
offices and he's very happy with them.

Try subscribing to uk.telecom.broadband for a while and you will pick
up some decent tips. Not just on which router to get but also which
ISP's are value for money.

Jim.