LAN public address

Old September 11th 03, 01:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default LAN public address

I have a small home network and my ISP uses dynamic IP addressing.

If a machine running within my network (with an address of, for
example, 192.168.0.5) needed to connect directly with a machine via
the internet for a Netmeeting type set up how would the remote machine
address its request.

I've done this before with a friend using Netmeeting and VNC but not
behind a network, we connected individually, found out our own IP
addresses and sent them to each other via email then connected
directly.

Geoff Lane

Old September 21st 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Watson

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I have a small home network and my ISP uses dynamic IP addressing.

If a machine running within my network (with an address of, for
example, 192.168.0.5) needed to connect directly with a machine via
the internet for a Netmeeting type set up how would the remote machine
address its request.

I've done this before with a friend using Netmeeting and VNC but not
behind a network, we connected individually, found out our own IP
addresses and sent them to each other via email then connected
directly.

Hi,
Assign a private IP address to the network card of the machine that you
require access i.e. 192.168.0.5 subnet 255.255.255.0, the gateway IP is the
IP of the router e.g. 192.168.0.1 and while you are there assign DNS as
appropriate with your ISP.

Then login to the router and forward all TCP/UDP port number xxx (VNC
traffic port) to 192.168.0.5.

I've got radmin working on 3 machines at home that are all setup in this
manner.

Dave

Old September 23rd 03, 01:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:42:39 +0100, "Dave Watson"
[email protected] wrote:

I have a small home network and my ISP uses dynamic IP addressing.

If a machine running within my network (with an address of, for
example, 192.168.0.5) needed to connect directly with a machine via
the internet for a Netmeeting type set up how would the remote machine
address its request.

Assign a private IP address to the network card of the machine that you
require access i.e. 192.168.0.5 subnet 255.255.255.0, the gateway IP is the
IP of the router e.g. 192.168.0.1 and while you are there assign DNS as
appropriate with your ISP.

Then login to the router and forward all TCP/UDP port number xxx (VNC
traffic port) to 192.168.0.5.

Thanks Dave,

I'll absorb that and give it some thought :-)))

Geoff Lane