Need CAT5 supplier

Old September 12th 03, 05:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Default Need CAT5 supplier

I need a 30m crossover cable for a network extension I am putting in.
The only place I have found that sells a pre-assembled cable is
Tekheads, but they then went and sent me a patch cable!

I would prefer to not have to crimp my own on this occasion.

Anyone suggest a good supplier?

Although, a good supplier of networking tools and accessories would also
be welcome!
Old September 12th 03, 05:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

TX2 said this...
Anyone suggest a good supplier?

Surprisingly my local B&Q has quite a good range of cables and accessories.
If you have one near you it would be worth checking it out.

--
~ dvd ~
Old September 12th 03, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

TX2 wrote:
I need a 30m crossover cable for a network extension I am putting in.
The only place I have found that sells a pre-assembled cable is
Tekheads, but they then went and sent me a patch cable!

You get an adaptor to convert a normal patch lead to a crossover for a
couple of quid.
Maplin might be a good place to look.
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Nick LeLievre should show up with computer parts and a promise
, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old September 12th 03, 10:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nic O'Demus

"TX2" wrote in message
I need a 30m crossover cable for a network extension I am putting in.
The only place I have found that sells a pre-assembled cable is
Tekheads, but they then went and sent me a patch cable!

I would prefer to not have to crimp my own on this occasion.

Anyone suggest a good supplier?

Although, a good supplier of networking tools and accessories would also
be welcome!

A while back I needed cat5 cable, plugs, crimpers, wall jacks,etc.-
everything that I might require to wire my own network in a new build.
Solwise http://www.solwise.co.uk/ were, at that time,
the best price I could find. Might be worth a look. Also got a Xover adaptor
from them
just in case, only a couple of quid (converts patch to Xover cable)(& vice
versa).
FWIW, if you buy crimpers- get a decent tool, it makes all the difference.
Good quality stuff and good service.

Nic

Old September 13th 03, 01:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Icky

Put "Cat5" or "RJ45" in the search box on Ebay and you'll find more
suppliers than you can shake a stick at

Old September 14th 03, 04:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Hallam

Clarity IT (www.clarity.it) do a good range of cables at reasonable prices.

Although, a good supplier of networking tools and accessories would also
be welcome!

Again, Clarity have other stuff besides cable. Got my current network
tools from them, and they were very helpful.

- Iain.

--
Please remove the obvious subdomain to reply.

Old September 14th 03, 08:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

TX2 wrote:

I need a 30m crossover cable for a network extension I am putting in.
The only place I have found that sells a pre-assembled cable is
Tekheads, but they then went and sent me a patch cable!

I would prefer to not have to crimp my own on this occasion.

Anyone suggest a good supplier?

Although, a good supplier of networking tools and accessories would also
be welcome!

As mention Maplin supply crossover adaptors which you can use between
two standard straight patch cables but personally I would use a
extension standard coupler and a crossover patch lead.

You could of course break into the cable and convert it to a crossover
by just cutting and splicing the wires.

More generally ----
Why would you need to crimp ends on the cable ? -- at 30 metres you
really are better using bulk solid UTP cable & surface mount wall
sockets with short patch leads.

As B&Q has been mentioned I might add the prices aren't bad for a retail
supplier and the quality of the cables and RJ45 sockets is quite good.