Guidence needed please!

Old September 12th 03, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jinx

Default Guidence needed please!

Hi All

I have no real experience with wireless but i would like to set something up
in my house. I have BT's broadband installed which i would like to link with
three things using wireless.
1: Laptop ( no wireless card )
2: PDA palm TC
3: X-box ( want to use x box live )

Would need something to act as a hub?
Any reconmendations on manufacturer's
What would i need for my laptop?

If you can't help specifically can anyone recommend some web sites i could
check out to getup to speed?

Cheers Jinx

Old September 13th 03, 08:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

"Jinx" wrote in message
Hi All

I have no real experience with wireless but i would like to set something

up
in my house. I have BT's broadband installed which i would like to link

with
three things using wireless.
1: Laptop ( no wireless card )
2: PDA palm TC
3: X-box ( want to use x box live )

Would need something to act as a hub?
Any reconmendations on manufacturer's
What would i need for my laptop?

If you can't help specifically can anyone recommend some web sites i could
check out to getup to speed?

Cheers Jinx

easiest way is to get an integrated ADSL modem/4 port router/wireless access
point. solwise had some connexant based ones for around 100UKP which is a
bit of a bargain.
you then need a wifi card for your PDA and laptop. if you *really* want to
connect your xbox wirelessley you'll need a wireless bridge, but i suggest
you stick to a wire for this unless you know what you're doing.

www.adslguide.org.uk is pretty good for this kind of thing...

Old September 14th 03, 02:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jinx

Cheers Ric

I've browsed a bit more on the subject and it does seem a cable for the
X-box would be best. Will be under the telly most the time anyway.
Will i get rid of the ALCATEL bt gave me?

Also could i run the xbox from a connectiion on my laptop( eternet is it?)
and would the laptop need to be on for this?

"Ric" wrote in message
.. .