Only getting 5% utilisation on 802.11b

Old September 12th 03, 09:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jason Arthurs

Default Only getting 5% utilisation on 802.11b

I've recently setup a wireless link to allow my wife to have an
internet enabled PC in our living room.

I have a pair of Airway (Prism 2.5 chipset) 802.11b adaptors one USB
and one PCMCIA setup peer-to-peer signal strength is reported as being
either good or excellent yet despite this I'm getting only 5%
throughput on an 11Mbps link.

Obviously 11Mbps is the theoretical maximum but I was perhaps
expecting 30-40% rather than a feeble 5%.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jason.
Old September 12th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Miller

"Jason Arthurs" wrote in message
I've recently setup a wireless link to allow my wife to have an
internet enabled PC in our living room.

I have a pair of Airway (Prism 2.5 chipset) 802.11b adaptors one USB
and one PCMCIA setup peer-to-peer signal strength is reported as being
either good or excellent yet despite this I'm getting only 5%
throughput on an 11Mbps link.

Obviously 11Mbps is the theoretical maximum but I was perhaps
expecting 30-40% rather than a feeble 5%.

Is this for file transfers or Net Access? If its the latter then that looks
like in the region of 500Kbs - how fast is your net connection ? (he asked
betting its a 512K DSL link ;-) )

If this is for file transfers between machines then what Operating Systems
are they using?

I.

Old September 13th 03, 11:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jason Arthurs

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:00:10 +0100, "Iain Miller"
wrote:

"Jason Arthurs" wrote in message
.. .
I've recently setup a wireless link to allow my wife to have an
internet enabled PC in our living room.

I have a pair of Airway (Prism 2.5 chipset) 802.11b adaptors one USB
and one PCMCIA setup peer-to-peer signal strength is reported as being
either good or excellent yet despite this I'm getting only 5%
throughput on an 11Mbps link.

Obviously 11Mbps is the theoretical maximum but I was perhaps
expecting 30-40% rather than a feeble 5%.

Is this for file transfers or Net Access? If its the latter then that looks
like in the region of 500Kbs - how fast is your net connection ? (he asked
betting its a 512K DSL link ;-) )

If this is for file transfers between machines then what Operating Systems
are they using?

Unfortunately it's reaching 5% for file transfers between two XP
machines. I currently have a PCMCIA card in my laptop and the laptop
is on the LAN with bridging enabled to give my wifes PC access to the
LAN and through to the internet. The wifes PC is a 733MHz PIII with a
USB 802.11b adaptor.

I have tried repostitioning the aerials as originally I was getting
1% throughput and this improved it to 5% but it never goes above 5%.

Old September 13th 03, 12:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Miller

Is this for file transfers or Net Access? If its the latter then that
looks
like in the region of 500Kbs - how fast is your net connection ? (he

asked
betting its a 512K DSL link ;-) )

If this is for file transfers between machines then what Operating

Systems
are they using?

Unfortunately it's reaching 5% for file transfers between two XP
machines. I currently have a PCMCIA card in my laptop and the laptop
is on the LAN with bridging enabled to give my wifes PC access to the
LAN and through to the internet. The wifes PC is a 733MHz PIII with a
USB 802.11b adaptor.

I have tried repostitioning the aerials as originally I was getting
1% throughput and this improved it to 5% but it never goes above 5%.

Any suggestions gratefully received,

Hmmmm. ! The reason I asked was that I had file Xfer problems between ME &
XP - resolved by going XP-XP

If it was me I'd take down alll the network settings & start again & just
run the Internet Connection Sharing Wizards.....not sure if you actually
need the Bridging unless its that that's providing access to the LAN. Have
you checked all the Duplex settings on the adapters?

rgds

I.