Ethernet To The Home

Old September 12th 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DrizzlyBritman

Default Ethernet To The Home

Very interesting, this could be good. But will we get in the UK. HA you
must be fecking joking.

Old September 12th 03, 11:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
cyberdog

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:10:41 +0100, DrizzlyBritman
wrote:

Very interesting, this could be good. But will we get in the UK.

I don't think so... BT can not supply enough copper cable to new
housing estates as it is. Never mind fibre.
Old September 13th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
André Franke

DrizzlyBritman wrote befo
in

Very interesting, this could be good. But will we get in the UK.

I don't believe it has a great future. It is the same good idea as
using the existing power lines for data. And that didn't work out.
Unless you are using very high quality cabling you won't be able to
keep the different frequencies clean over a long distance. And such
cabling would easily extend the costs to a higher value than the costs
of fibre.

regards
André
--
For e-mail use plain-text only, please.
HTML and attachments will be silently discarded.
Old September 13th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 13 Sep
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk André Franke
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

I don't believe it has a great future. It is the same good idea as
using the existing power lines for data. And that didn't work out.

You tell that to the Canadians.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old September 13th 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
cyberdog

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:58:33 +0100, Conor
wrote:

Ironically, quite a few new houses couldn't get ADSL BECAUSE BT had
connected them to the network WITH fibre. They had to come up with a
workaround.

I don`t know what part of the UK you are talking about. But the new
housing estates that i connect up have copper, and some that are still
being built have dacs already.
Old September 14th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
André Franke

deKay wrote befo
in

I don't believe it has a great future. It is the same good idea as
using the existing power lines for data. And that didn't work out.

You tell that to the Canadians.

They already know :-b

regards
André
Old September 14th 03, 12:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 14 Sep
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk André Franke
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

deKay wrote befo
in

I don't believe it has a great future. It is the same good idea as
using the existing power lines for data. And that didn't work out.

You tell that to the Canadians.

They already know :-b

They have been using data-over-power in Canada for years, and have had no
problems. The current (ha!) trials in the SW of England of
broadband-over-powerlines have seemingly worked out well too.

deKay
Old September 14th 03, 12:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
André Franke

deKay wrote befo
in

They have been using data-over-power in Canada for years, and have had no
problems. The current (ha!) trials in the SW of England of
broadband-over-powerlines have seemingly worked out well too.

If you say so...
I've made the expierience in Canada that it may be good enough for
home networking purposes and internet surfing, but not if you are
going to use the connection for any more time critical purposes.
In Germany the field testing showed that it is much to unreliable,
unsecure and to cost intensive compared to common dedicated
communication cabling.

regards
André