Aaaargh! WinMe ICS with USB ADSL

Old September 13th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

Default Aaaargh! WinMe ICS with USB ADSL

Aaaaargh! Bloody WinMe Internet Connection Sharing... got two NIC's,
crossover cable, ADSL USB modem, got the things file sharing no problem. But
if I connect ICS on the Server it will connect to the net but stalls after
sending 390 bytes and the client can't find the LAN internet connection with
"auto detect settings".Aaaaaargh!

Been at this ages, looked for helpful tutorials, tried to configure a proxy
(got into a right mess) what with ip address's, ports, protocols etc.

Did I say Aaaaaaargh!!!

Phew! feel better now... no wonder network techs have this clubby guru
thing going on! It's like learning the rites to some secret brotherhood!
It's 2003 for gods sake.... where's the Plug and Play point and click GUI
for this stuff!

It's the classic PC dilemma, I know this kit does just what I want, quickly
and with no fuss, but how do you get the stuff configured? OK, I'm having
fun I must admit. Resurrected my first ever PC, PR200 on a PCChips M571 V3.2
with 132Mb RAM and it's nice to see the thing boot again, but I just need to
get it online via the LAN and my world would be complete!

Les

--
Top Posting© Since 1997

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=5K2NM99YE7JHW

Old September 13th 03, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

Are you using DHCP on the LAN for both machines?.

Looking for it now.. where is the damned thing... I've seen it! It's the
Auto ip address thingy isn't it? How do I toggle it? Just thought, only
needs to be enabled on the server not the client. Is that right?

Les

--

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=5K2NM99YE7JHW

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...

Old September 13th 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

Phew! feel better now... no wonder network techs have this clubby guru
thing going on! It's like learning the rites to some secret brotherhood!
It's 2003 for gods sake.... where's the Plug and Play point and click GUI
for this stuff!

i'll let you into a secret: ME, ICS, USB and ADSL isn't a pretty combination
for *any* of us network techs...!

Old September 13th 03, 09:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

I'll let you into a secret: ME, ICS, USB and ADSL isn't a pretty
combination
for *any* of us network techs...!

.......... I'm discovering this. Everytime I install ICS I can't get online!
Got everything configured on both machines except for this glitch. I have a
choice of connections in the wizard. Alcatel USB ADSL PPP or Alcatel dial
up... I feel the problem is around here somewhere. But I don't know enough
to sort it. It appears to connect, sends a few bytes and hangs. What's the
best way round this? Any ideas anyone?

Les

--

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=5K2NM99YE7JHW

.. .

Old September 13th 03, 09:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

Found this link... I know it's for win2000 but is there a way here?

http://www.dylanbeattie.net/docs/spe..._usb_rras.html

Les

--

"Les & Claire" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old September 14th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

Sorted! Was just giving up and opened an html page saved on the client and
it downloaded a banner ad! Never have I been so pleased to see a large,
tacky, animated GIF pop up on a page......

It was the firewall I think, Zonealarm not up to the job. Zonealarm pro
did the trick. A lot of fiddling, learnt a lot too... and now got ICS, a
LAN, one for business, one for home... pleased as punch!

USB ADSL, WinMe, ICS and an Ethernet cat5 crossover.... what a pile of
mismatched bits to lose my networking virginity too!

Les

--

"Les & Claire" wrote in message
[...]

.. .