Mini Network woe!

Old September 14th 03, 08:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Default Mini Network woe!

Me-GT wrote:

Hi Group
just had a first stab at connecting 2 pc's to a broadband connection
(Freeserve copperjet modem) via a Belkin Router.

Problem is, the router has 1 wan and 4 network ports, all rj45 type sockets,
whilst the DSL modem has a USB port and a ADSL port. I can't cable the
router to the Modem!

The two pc's are connected to the Router with RJ45 Patch cables, but how do
I connect the Router to the modem and then to the phoneline?? Have I got
the basics wrong?

MGT

You have the wrong equipment also are you sure you need DSL not ADSL
-- if your Freeserve Broadband is via a BT phone socket it is ADSL.

For ADSL I would buy a Conexant 4 ethernet + 1 usb port router-modem
for 45 pounds (try http://pless.co.uk), it connects straight to the
phone line

An alternative is to ditch the router use one computer as a proxy server
for the other using internet connection sharing (ICS) -- some peopole
find this works well, personally I don't like the concept.