Ad hoc networking problem - Please help!

Old September 14th 03, 04:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Littleboy

Default Ad hoc networking problem - Please help!

I have just added a wireless ad-hoc setup to my existing wired LAN and
I am having major problems with the connection rates.

Spec as follows....
Belkin 54g wireless F5D7000 desktop card in my Win XP ICS gateway
Belkin 54g Wireless F5D7010 notebook card in my IBM T20 Thinkpad with
Win2000.
Both cards set to ad-hoc mode and IBSS 54g Mode on the cards set to
'54g Performance' - Rate set to 'Best Rate'
XP software bridge between existing LAN and new Wireless connection

Both machines connect to the network and I can browse the Net from my
laptop, however even when both machines are right next to each other,
the network rate drops to 1Mbps 8
Net browsing is slow and file transfer is out of the question.
Signal strength reported from the Belkin status indicator is excellent
on both machines.

What am I doing wrong and can anyone please help me to diagnose the
reason for the poor rate?

I would prefer NOT to fork out for an AP given that I only want to
connect these two machines on teh wireless network.

Many thanks
Remove mypants to email me.