Expanding network

Old September 14th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gerry Cavanagh

Default Expanding network

Set up a simple 2 pc link a while back - installed 2 network cards, a long
cable (crossover?) and the 2 pcs worked fine. ICS on Win ME with UK cable
(telewest) modem. Now younger kid wants in on the act and I'd like to link
up the other pc in that room, but I hear that what I have needs to be all
changed as it's the wrong type of cable, and I need a hub or router - could
anyone point me - or offer some advice?
Many thanks
Gerry

Old September 14th 03, 10:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Glyn Grinstead

In article , Gerry Cavanagh
wrote:
Set up a simple 2 pc link a while back - installed 2 network cards, a long
cable (crossover?) and the 2 pcs worked fine. ICS on Win ME with UK cable
(telewest) modem. Now younger kid wants in on the act and I'd like to link
up the other pc in that room, but I hear that what I have needs to be all
changed as it's the wrong type of cable, and I need a hub or router - could
anyone point me - or offer some advice?

If you're happy with the way everything is working with ICS at the moment
then all you need is a hub (or a switch) and some cables. The hub can be
pretty much anywhere you like, but the network cables from all machines
need to plug into the hub, not each other as you have at the moment.

The easiest way to do this is to unplug one end of the cable from one
computer and plug it into the hub, and then buy a short patch cable to
connect the computer you just unplugged. You'll then need another cable
to plug in the third machine.

The cable you have already will be a cross over cable, rather than the
straight through cables that are normally used with hubs, but this shouldn't
be a major problem. When you get the hub you should notice that one port is
marked as an uplink port or MDI-X. If you plug the cross over cable into
that port it will convert the wiring back to being straight through again.
Depending on the hub you may even find that it will do this automatically
for you wherever you plug the cable in, but this is still the exception
rather than the rule (this will probably be called "Auto MDI-X" in the
manual). This isn't a particularly elegant solution, but as you said the
cable was quite long I'm assuming you don't want to replace it unless you
have to.

The cables are normally quite cheap but can cost a fortune after delivery,
so if you're ordering online then it's worth getting a spare or two. Redstore
have a good range of hubs and cables at reasonable prices:
http://www.redstore.com/fx/prc_gen.php?genre=PC&cat=NET

I'd suggest paying the extra couple of pounds and go for an eight port hub
as so many things now are coming out with network connections - even mp3
players: http://www.riokarma.com/ - so it's worth having some room for
expansion.

Glyn.