home network on a budget...

Old September 14th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Default home network on a budget...

Hiya

can I just clarify I couple of points:
1) people are saying all I need is a crossover cable to share internet
access, is this correct if one machine is win 98se and the other XP?
2) I have seen it suggested that I will be able to share my current dial up
internet access, is that true with a cross over cable?

If the answer to all over this is yes, what advantages is there to having a
router?

Thanks once again for the help

Dave

Old September 15th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Rob Morley wrote:

At the moment you have no use for a router - you can't plug it into the
phone line, at best you could use it as a hub.

5 port Switched hub cost 25 pounds + p&p
4 port + usb Router/modem cost 45 pounds + p&p
1 port + usb router cost 35 pounds + p&p
Network cards 6.00 each (Realtek)
The routers include a free patch cable.

The choice is pay an a extra 15 pounds now or 40+ pounds later.