Efficient 5861 set up

Old September 14th 03, 11:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Goyan

Default Efficient 5861 set up

Accidentally, I found an old BT router from my friend's house. Its model
number is 5861. I am not very good at these networking things.

The manuel I downloaded from the net says its IP should be 192.168.254.254.
So I tried to ping 192.168.254.254, it returned "transmit failed, error code
65" !? I tried both setting my comp to be 192.168.254.101 (Submask
255.255.255.0), but still doesnt work! I tried to ping my comp, the same
error occured. Anything I did wrong? Does the name of workgroup matters (I
set it to be MSHOME)?

Thanks for your time.

Old September 15th 03, 06:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark˛

Goyan wrote:
Accidentally, I found an old BT router from my friend's house. Its model
number is 5861. I am not very good at these networking things.

The manuel I downloaded from the net says its IP should be 192.168.254.254.
So I tried to ping 192.168.254.254, it returned "transmit failed, error code
65" !? I tried both setting my comp to be 192.168.254.101 (Submask
255.255.255.0), but still doesnt work! I tried to ping my comp, the same
error occured. Anything I did wrong? Does the name of workgroup matters (I
set it to be MSHOME)?

Thanks for your time.

Sounds like a firewall problem - disable any firewall that is running,
whilst you set up the router.
Everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask ;-) , about
the EN5861 is here http://www.eusty.co.uk/

--

Mark˛
Now Playing: Canned Heat - Parchman Farm

Old September 15th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Goyan

I tried to uninstall Zone Alarm, and even reinstall XP... Still the problem
is there.... Then I gave up on 5861 and went out to get a DG814... : ) I
spent 10 min to setup the router... it is great... although abit pricey...

Thanks for your help....

Goyan

"Mark˛" ???
???...

Old September 16th 03, 09:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trust No OneŽ

Goyan wrote:
I tried to uninstall Zone Alarm, and even reinstall XP... Still the
problem is there.... Then I gave up on 5861 and went out to get a
DG814... : ) I spent 10 min to setup the router... it is great...
although abit pricey...

Thanks for your help....

Selling the 5681 then ?

--
Peter X-Files Fan
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

Old September 21st 03, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Watson

"Goyan" wrote in message
.. .
Accidentally, I found an old BT router from my friend's house. Its model
number is 5861. I am not very good at these networking things.

The manuel I downloaded from the net says its IP should be

192.168.254.254.
So I tried to ping 192.168.254.254, it returned "transmit failed, error

code
65" !? I tried both setting my comp to be 192.168.254.101 (Submask
255.255.255.0), but still doesnt work! I tried to ping my comp, the same
error occured. Anything I did wrong? Does the name of workgroup matters

(I
set it to be MSHOME)?

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

If you use win2k or xp, go to a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /release

and then

ipconfig /renew

This should release your existing IP from your network card as I suspect it
is a 169.x.x.x and you should then be able to type 192.168.254.254 in IE
and be presented with your change login screen.

Dave.