XP network question?

Old September 15th 03, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

Default XP network question?

Hi

I have just gotten my two XP Prof pc's to comunicate! (router, ADSL) the
shared folder is available and i can move stuff back and forth! my problem
is that i cannot go online with the 2nd pc via the router?

When i put in the URL for the router config page on the second pc it tells
me ;

"Duplicate Administrator This devise is managed by 192.168. x.xxx
currently!!!"

Help please?

Rgds
Stephen

Old September 15th 03, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

Router is an edimax Broadbandrouter, 4 ports. the network is working fine
just the shared internet connection doesnt work on the second pc?

This is the info from the router site;

thanks for any help

Stephen

Multi-homing
With the multi-homing function, you can lease up to 4 different types of WAN
lines (T1¡BxDSL¡BCable) from different ISPs. The router can let each user in
your office makes use of all of the WANs simultaneously without changing any
configuration of his/her PC.

lP Sharing
The NAT/PAT function lets you share WAN lines to all the Intranet users. The
router can let you setup trigger ports of special applications, and let you
access Internet services smoothly. The VPN pass through function supports
IPSec and PPTP VPNs that helps you setup your VPN easily.

WAN Load Balance and Failover
Dynamically direct each of the LAN clients to a suitable WAN line according
to the max bandwidth and current loading of the WAN lines. You also can
configurate a WAN line to act as a backup to the others. This backup WAN
line is not active in the beginning. When all other WAN lines fail, the
system will activate the backup WAN line and redirect the network traffic to
the backup WAN line.

Support All ISP Connecting Methods
Support PPPoE, static IP, dynamic IP (DHCP client), PPTP connecting method.
You can use this router no matter your ISP provide you fix lease line
(T1/E1), ADSL, Cable.
Firewall
The SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) firewall can protect your Intranet PCs
from illegal access and many kinds of DoS attacks from the Internet, and
alert you by e-mail in the first time if some event happens. The router also
can control which PC has the right to access the Internet.

Virtual Server and DMZ
The virtual server and DMZ function let you setup your server in the
Intranet and still can provide services to the Internet user by public IP.

DHCP Server
The DHCP server dispatches IPs to all Intranet PCs automatically. You can
check IP and MAC addresses mapping table in any time.

Web Remote Management
The friendly Web user interface let you configurate the router by a browser
without pre-install any software. You can assign trusted IPs and let the
administrator configurate the router from the Internet.

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...
Hi

I have just gotten my two XP Prof pc's to comunicate! (router, ADSL) the
shared folder is available and i can move stuff back and forth! my

problem
is that i cannot go online with the 2nd pc via the router?

When i put in the URL for the router config page on the second pc it

tells
me ;

"Duplicate Administrator This devise is managed by 192.168. x.xxx
currently!!!"

Help please?

Read the manual for the router, or at least tell us which one it is.

Old September 15th 03, 11:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr. Nangla

hey,

are you using any firewalls, including Microsoft's ICF? Does your router
support DCHP and are your apdapter set to 'automatically obtain IP address'?

check that
sonny

Old September 16th 03, 12:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

Thanks sonny

Yeah but i had it off to test it? zone alarm Pro. router supports DHCP
adapers are set to optain IP auto, i think its the Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) when i set it to share i lose connection? i read this could
happen but then it says to set pcs to optain IPs auto? thats what i done?
any more idea's?

Thanks already

Stephen

Old September 16th 03, 08:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

I also switched off the MS firewall.

I have a feeling its the sharing? i am getting close? cn someone advise
please

Thanks again already

Stephen

Old September 16th 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr. Nangla

hmmmmmmm,

'Duplicate Administrator'... have you tried to access XP pro #1 through a
guest account or a limited account from the XP pro #2?

I got 1x Win98 and 2x XPs (both accessing as administrator) and that works
fine, try that anyway. This setup makes the IP address of the router:
192.168.0.1 (default gateway), is it on yours? Also have you tried
microsoft's support pages for XP and try serching for:

"Duplicate Administrator This devise is managed by" in www.vivisimo.com

Hope this helps
Sonny