VPN Pass Through

Old September 15th 03, 04:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default VPN Pass Through

I'm interested in looking in to a VPN connection to my computer club
network.

At the moment most of it is a complete mystery to me.

I see some of the routers have VPN Pass Through - what is that
exactly?

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals

Old September 17th 03, 09:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:13:44 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

I'm interested in looking in to a VPN connection to my computer club
network.

At the moment most of it is a complete mystery to me.

I see some of the routers have VPN Pass Through - what is that
exactly?

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals

Any router is capable of passing VPN through, nore expensive routers will
actually create your VPN and route your local network over it.

graham

Old September 22nd 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Groves

In article , Graham
writes
Any router is capable of passing VPN through

Nope.

For a basic PPTP VPN, any router can be configured to forward the
requisite port 1723, but it has to support the GRE protocol in order to
correctly handle the connection.

As an example, the Netgear RP114 is incapable of this.
--
Toby
Old September 26th 03, 11:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:17:11 +0000, Toby Groves wrote:

In article , Graham
writes
Any router is capable of passing VPN through

Nope.

For a basic PPTP VPN, any router can be configured to forward the
requisite port 1723, but it has to support the GRE protocol in order to
correctly handle the connection.

As an example, the Netgear RP114 is incapable of this.

I Still stick to my origonal statement:-

Any router is capable of passing VPN through

But I will add:-

Ditch windoze

graham

Old September 27th 03, 08:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Groves

In article , Graham
writes
I Still stick to my origonal statement:-

Please yourself, you're still wrong.

Any router is capable of passing VPN through

But I will add:-

Ditch windoze

Windows has bugger all to do with it, if the router doesn't understand
the GRE protocol then it won't work, regardless of the operating system
in use.
--
Toby