Converting cables

Old September 15th 03, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bobby

Default Converting cables

I have an old fashioned network cable running from my PC to my daughter's
and I was wondering if it's possible to convert it?

It's got a round connection on each end - and it needs terminated. I don't
remember the technical name for it - but it's not RJ45 connections.

The problem is that I've ran it under floors and carpets so I can't easily
lift it and re-cable. Is there any way I can use a converter to change the
end connections so that I can use a standard network adaptor?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old September 15th 03, 07:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CHRIS 159

"Bobby" wrote in message
I have an old fashioned network cable running from my PC to my daughter's
and I was wondering if it's possible to convert it?

It's got a round connection on each end - and it needs terminated. I don't
remember the technical name for it - but it's not RJ45 connections.

The problem is that I've ran it under floors and carpets so I can't easily
lift it and re-cable. Is there any way I can use a converter to change the
end connections so that I can use a standard network adaptor?

if i understand what you mean then - no
seems like you're using bnc connections which uses co-axial cable wirh only
two conductors and the 'standard' network adaptor (i presume you mean the
cat5 cable with telephone type plug) uses a multi-core cable

Old September 15th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

CHRIS 159 wrote:

"Bobby" wrote in message
I have an old fashioned network cable running from my PC to my daughter's
and I was wondering if it's possible to convert it?

It's got a round connection on each end - and it needs terminated. I don't
remember the technical name for it - but it's not RJ45 connections.

The problem is that I've ran it under floors and carpets so I can't easily
lift it and re-cable. Is there any way I can use a converter to change the
end connections so that I can use a standard network adaptor?

if i understand what you mean then - no
seems like you're using bnc connections which uses co-axial cable wirh only
two conductors and the 'standard' network adaptor (i presume you mean the
cat5 cable with telephone type plug) uses a multi-core cable

Actually you can do this, but not conveniently. Some hubs (and possibly
some switches, although I have not seen one) have a BNC connector in
addition to the RJ45 ones. So the two machines can be connected to such
a hub, the local one via RJ45 and CAT5 cable, and the remote by BNC. Of
course, in order to use an RJ45 only network card in both machines two
such hubs would be required.

Personally I'd me more inclined to bite the bullet and lift the old
cable. BNC never gives very good performance, it'll be faster too.

Regards, Ian
Old September 15th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CHRIS 159

"Ian Northeast" wrote in message
CHRIS 159 wrote:

"Bobby" wrote in message
[...]

absolutely. but the op wouldnt be benefitting whatsoever by doing it that
way - just paying out for more gear

Personally I'd me more inclined to bite the bullet and lift the old
cable.

me too - i did, and ......

BNC never gives very good performance, it'll be faster too.

i cannot notice any difference :-(

Regards, Ian

Old September 16th 03, 02:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Hallam

Bobby wrote:

It's got a round connection on each end - and it needs terminated. I don't
remember the technical name for it - but it's not RJ45 connections.

Sounds like 10Base2 Ethernet over (as others have said) coaxial cable
with BNC connevtors.

The problem is that I've ran it under floors and carpets so I can't easily
lift it and re-cable. Is there any way I can use a converter to change the
end connections so that I can use a standard network adaptor?

Technically, yes - you can convert from 10Base2 to 10BaseT or 10Base5
with convertors that can be bought for about 30 (=60 to do both ends).
However, if the network is indeed 10Base2, you could get some combo
Ethernet cards with BNC plugs on the back for just this type of network.
I imagine they're fairly cheap these days since 10Base2 is getting
pulled out from anywhere it is still installed. 10Base2 also goes by the
name "Thinnet" since its cables are thinner than 10Base5 "Thicknet".

Third option - relaying Category 5e/6 UTP cable and terminating with
RJ45 sockets - would give you the most upgrade potential and speed
difference. You could use this network at 100MBit/s. If you choose this
route, you might be able to attache the new cable to the old and pull it
through when you take out the coax.

- Iain.
--
Please remove the obvious subdomain to reply.

Old September 16th 03, 02:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Hallam

CHRIS 159 wrote:
BNC never gives very good performance, it'll be faster too.

i cannot notice any difference :-(

If you upgraded from 10Base2 to 10BaseT (twisted pair), there isn't any
major difference in speed. You'll only get about 8-9MBit/s from 10BaseT
anyway. You might be able to get full-duplex though (depending on the card).

- Iain.
--
Please remove the obvious subdomain to reply.

Old September 16th 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Ian Northeast wrote:
CHRIS 159 wrote:

"Bobby" wrote in message

I have an old fashioned network cable running from my PC to my daughter's
and I was wondering if it's possible to convert it?

snip
Actually you can do this, but not conveniently. Some hubs (and possibly
some switches, although I have not seen one) have a BNC connector in
addition to the RJ45 ones. So the two machines can be connected to such
a hub, the local one via RJ45 and CAT5 cable, and the remote by BNC. Of
course, in order to use an RJ45 only network card in both machines two
such hubs would be required.

Personally I'd me more inclined to bite the bullet and lift the old
cable. BNC never gives very good performance, it'll be faster too.

Regards, Ian

Agree with all of the above -- Having wired up many buildings I suspect
it might be possible to draw a new cat 5 cable through under the floor
by fastening the end to the old coax cable -- it all depends on the
route and if it was fastened to anything.

Old September 16th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Iain Hallam wrote:

CHRIS 159 wrote:

BNC never gives very good performance, it'll be faster too.

i cannot notice any difference :-(

If you upgraded from 10Base2 to 10BaseT (twisted pair), there isn't any
major difference in speed. You'll only get about 8-9MBit/s from 10BaseT
anyway. You might be able to get full-duplex though (depending on the
card).

- Iain.

When was the last time anybody fitted a 10baseT network ? surely cat5
wiring with 100baseT.