Optimum positioning for wireless router

Old September 16th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

Default Optimum positioning for wireless router

I've got a D-Link DSL-604+ at present and it's in a room that's a converted
integral garage. As such, it has a cavity external wall between it and the
rest of the house.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I'm finding wireless connection problematic.

Where I'm most likely to want a wireless connection is in our lounge (for
the laptop) which is across the hall from where the router is at present. I
could move the router into the hall (not very pretty though) or
alternatively, into a small office upstairs where it would separated from
the lounge by the ceiling only.

I have to say I disappointed with the range of the D-Link router which would
seem to have been calculated in open air or a vacuum.

Where do other folk site their wireless routers and do you have trouble with
reception in houses with solid (i.e. not timber and plasterboard) walls?

TIm

Old September 17th 03, 08:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:05:11 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

[...]

I have a D-Link DWL 2000 AP (802.11g access point) I have located it in
the loft in the apex of the roof (inside) to allow access in the back
garden and all over the house. The signal strength varies but it works
fine to a laptop with an 802.11b anywhere in the house and up to about 50
metres outside. I had to try it in a few locations to get the coverage I
wanted. The house is a detached two storey affair. Try it in a few
locations before you decide to fix it's final position.

graham.

Old September 18th 03, 10:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

Graham wrote:
[...]

Well, it's ended up on the cupboard under the stairs as I've opted for hard
wired connections for most of our PCs and it's the easiest place to wire
from. The cupboard is also only made of plasterboard and so far, wireless
connection seems to work fine where we need it to.

Cheers.

Tim

Old September 20th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jon morris

When my Netgear AP died I replace it with a DLink 54G AP and found the range
to be very poor.....took it back and exchanged it for the Belkin which works
very well....