Home Broadband Sharing

Old September 16th 03, 03:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Joel

Default Home Broadband Sharing

1. Anyone has either BT or Nildram broadband, are you satisfied with it's
speed/reliability?
2. 4 PCs in house, plan to use a router so shoud I
(a) use BT's modem with a new router or
(b) buy a single modem-router unit, and what's the advantage of either
congifuration?
3. Want some brand/models or routers and modem-routers people are satisfied
with
4. Where to shop for the above to get best price (already checked ebay &
http://pless.co.uk)

THANKS

Old September 16th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"Joel" wrote in message
1. Anyone has either BT or Nildram broadband, are you satisfied with it's
speed/reliability?
2. 4 PCs in house, plan to use a router so shoud I
(a) use BT's modem with a new router or
(b) buy a single modem-router unit, and what's the advantage of

either
congifuration?
3. Want some brand/models or routers and modem-routers people are

satisfied
with
4. Where to shop for the above to get best price (already checked ebay &
http://pless.co.uk)

Try http://draytek.co.uk/ bit pricey but good specs.

Geoff Lane

Old September 17th 03, 08:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jo Gray

I have BT broadband...the speedtouch alcatel thing

I have 2 big computers and one laptop set up

I used link sys wireless...... everything works great and the main computer
is even connecting up on 2.5 gbps
don't ask me how they just do

Old September 18th 03, 10:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Joel wrote:
1. Anyone has either BT or Nildram broadband, are you satisfied with it's
speed/reliability?
2. 4 PCs in house, plan to use a router so shoud I
(a) use BT's modem with a new router or
(b) buy a single modem-router unit, and what's the advantage of either
congifuration?
3. Want some brand/models or routers and modem-routers people are satisfied
with
4. Where to shop for the above to get best price (already checked ebay &
http://pless.co.uk)

THANKS

BT's Mail and News servers are in my and many others experience very
poor, also BT Openworld is now BT Yahoo which is a a wannabee AOL style
service requiring a customised browser to use all the functions.
I have also encountered Freeserve and NTL (cable) broadband and in both
cases was very unimpressed with the way they treated customers,
although in the case of NTL I was very impressed the connection .

Nildram I only know through reputation (very good) looking at thier website
You might want also to look at freeuk.com, freedom2surf.net and
zetnet.com ansd also Pipex
Be aware that ADSL prices are in a state of flux and that the terms
and conditions always seem to allow the isp to increase monthly prices
as soon as you sign. Also check out the cost of the backup conventional
modem connection BT for eaxample charge this at "Pay as You Go" rate
while with other ISPs its free.

Best advice is go for wires only service and buy your own router.

Old September 18th 03, 10:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Mindwipe wrote:

me too on this one although i need to share printers too

A 4 port ethernet router acts as switched hub allow printer and file
sharing it also can act as a DCHP server for easier TCP/IP networking.

Old September 18th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mindwipe

going for pipex here,already got mail back from them that my 4 user home
network isn't a problem for them.thnx for all the advice guys.you have saved
me some cash and time (and whining kids)

Old September 19th 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:14:08 +0100, "Mindwipe"
wrote:

going for pipex here,already got mail back from them that my 4 user home
network isn't a problem for them.thnx for all the advice guys.you have saved
me some cash and time (and whining kids)

Funny, I queried this as their conditions say for a single user but
they replied saying they didn not support multi users but would not
bar it.

Geoff Lane

Old September 19th 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mindwipe

Thank you for your email. The solo 512k service is suitable to
connect an internal network to, the hardware you decide to go for
depends on the needs for your network. Below is a link you can visit
to view hardware reviews to help you make your choice:

this was the reply i got from pipex support

Old September 20th 03, 07:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

wrote:

going for pipex here,already got mail back from them that my 4 user home
network isn't a problem for them.thnx for all the advice guys.you have

saved
me some cash and time (and whining kids)

Funny, I queried this as their conditions say for a single user but
they replied saying they didn not support multi users but would not
bar it.

Geoff Lane

What they mean is they can only give support on the equipment they
upply -- a normal T&C for all ADSL ISPs