DHCP?

Old September 16th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

Default DHCP?

Should the DHCP be running on the two pc's in my network? i cannot share the
internet? but the shared folders LAN workd fine? if i switch the DHCP off on
the pc2 will this help?

Stephen

Old September 16th 03, 11:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Clark

"Stephen" wrote in message
Should the DHCP be running on the two pc's in my network? i cannot share

the
internet? but the shared folders LAN workd fine? if i switch the DHCP off

on
the pc2 will this help?

Stephen

You need a trip to www.homenethelp.com

But there's no reason not to have DHCP running on both the machines

Old September 17th 03, 12:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Linux Penguin

you only need DHCP on one machine on your network

If you have it on 2 machines, you are going to get a conflict when a client
requests a IP address.

my rule is one DHCP server for each subnet

Old September 17th 03, 12:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

Excellent thanks i knew that was the answe and i just couldnt find it on any
forum or site?
I APPRICIATE YOUR HELP will let you know how it goes, will try it tomorrow.

Stephen

Old September 17th 03, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Stephen
writes
Should the DHCP be running on the two pc's in my network? i cannot share the
internet? but the shared folders LAN workd fine? if i switch the DHCP off on
the pc2 will this help?

If you only have two machines then you could give them both static
addresses and stop the DHCP server on both machines.

--
Bernard Peek

Old September 18th 03, 07:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Clark

"Linux Penguin" wrote in message
you only need DHCP on one machine on your network

If you have it on 2 machines, you are going to get a conflict when a

client
requests a IP address.

my rule is one DHCP server for each subnet

Depends really.. Is he running both machines through a router? If so and
the router is doing the DHCP server side, then he'll need DHCP Client
enabled on both machines. Or he could go Static.

Old October 1st 03, 04:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Ian Clark" wrote in message

"Linux Penguin" wrote in message
you only need DHCP on one machine on your network

If you have it on 2 machines, you are going to get a conflict when a

client
requests a IP address.

my rule is one DHCP server for each subnet

Depends really.. Is he running both machines through a router? If so and
the router is doing the DHCP server side, then he'll need DHCP Client
enabled on both machines. Or he could go Static.

You can use 2 for 1 subnet as long as you split the ranges.Give half of the
range to server 1 and half to server 2.