Realtek 8019 ISA & Linux

Old September 16th 03, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Den

Default Realtek 8019 ISA & Linux

I am having trouble using this card in Linux though it is working
OK in W98 in the dual-boot W98SE/Linux, though I am new to Linux
and cannot find things like IRQ and IO address like I can in W98.

I have installed it in Linux as NE2000 compatible, but this is as far
as I can go, where in W98Se it is OK as RTL8019.

Den

Old September 17th 03, 12:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Den

"Den" wrote in message ...
I am having trouble using this card in Linux though it is working
OK in W98 in the dual-boot W98SE/Linux, though I am new to Linux
and cannot find things like IRQ and IO address like I can in W98.

I have installed it in Linux as NE2000 compatible, but this is as far
as I can go, where in W98Se it is OK as RTL8019.

Also the Mandrake site only has the RTL8029 & RTL8139.

Den

Old September 17th 03, 09:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Den wrote:

I am having trouble using this card in Linux though it is working
OK in W98 in the dual-boot W98SE/Linux, though I am new to Linux
and cannot find things like IRQ and IO address like I can in W98.

I have installed it in Linux as NE2000 compatible, but this is as far
as I can go, where in W98Se it is OK as RTL8019.

It *ought* to work as an NE2000 compatible, but the following post from
1998 which google threw up suggests that it may be tricky:

I had to use the utility from the web site (Realteks) to manually configure
the card with an IRQ and address,having turned off plug and play,in favour of
jumperless set up,and then manually set the address and IRQ in Linux,as
Redhat failed to find it by default.

And another from 2001:

I've had experience with the Realtek 8019 and it can be a real bear to
configure.

I suggest that you save yourself further grief and invest in a PCI card
for about 7 quid. ISA is horrible. Any RTL8139 clone PCI card should
work perfectly adequately for all home networking requirements and be
instantly recognised by any modern Linux distro.

Regards, Ian
Old September 18th 03, 03:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Den

"Ian Northeast" wrote in message ...
Den wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ian, as trying the NE2000 compatible option also failed
perhaps I could try swapping over with this PC,s card which is the
Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC ?

The RTL8019 has always given minor problems, like a delay when looking
at properties in W98SE and rare occasional blips like failed connections depending
on which PC is booted up first, though not consistent, though reliable apart
from that.
But as you say, for the sake of grief it will be better replacing the ISA with PCI.

Den

Old September 18th 03, 09:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Den wrote:
I am having trouble using this card in Linux though it is working
OK in W98 in the dual-boot W98SE/Linux, though I am new to Linux
and cannot find things like IRQ and IO address like I can in W98.

I have installed it in Linux as NE2000 compatible, but this is as far
as I can go, where in W98Se it is OK as RTL8019.

Den

Which flavour of Linux ? Your card should be NE2000 compatible
I know the later Realtek cards work fine under most non-Debian based
major "branded" Linux distro but Debian based can give problems with
some Realtek cards although the driver loads. With Debian I am told
3 Com cards are generally a safer bet.
If you are non-debian based and still have problems RL 8139 card can
be bought for under 7 pounds.

Old September 18th 03, 08:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Den

"awm"

Which flavour of Linux ? Your card should be NE2000 compatible
I know the later Realtek cards work fine under most non-Debian based
major "branded" Linux distro but Debian based can give problems with
some Realtek cards although the driver loads. With Debian I am told
3 Com cards are generally a safer bet.
If you are non-debian based and still have problems RL 8139 card can
be bought for under 7 pounds.

As I was not able to buy one today, I swapped over the RTL8029 PCI from
this PC and it worked fine under Mandrake 9.1, though true to form the troubles
have now switched to this PC with the ISA RTL8019 still being a pig to enable.

Though as Ian said the ISA will be replaced with a RTL8139 PCI which means
a problem with NW cables. As I have never needed a fast throughput I am still
using BNC but the RTL8139 has only got RJ45 connections.

Can these be mixed or will I have to change all cables.

Den

Old September 19th 03, 07:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

"Den" wrote in
message ...

"awm"

[...]

Apart from speed switching to cat 5 cables with RJ45 plugs gives much
better reliability and the option of hot pluging pcs into te network ----
coax was unreliable and messy.
But if you don't want to rewire you have 3 choices -- number 3 is the
easiest & chepest.

(1) Buy a combo card --- 3com or Netgear should be fine if you can't find
a suplier try http://www.pless.co.uk
(2) Use a conversion adapter
(3) Buy a network hub with both types of connection on it -- loads of
secondhand 10baseT ones around try ebay
(see
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=37 0
6 )
If all else fails I have one I keep as a spare I could sell you for next to
nothing+postage..

Old September 19th 03, 07:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

Default Realtek 8019 ISA & Linux & yet another

And another 10mbs hub with both types of ports - again dirt cheap