Adding/creating network user for secure folder access

Old September 17th 03, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Default Adding/creating network user for secure folder access

I have a 3 station network.

2 desktops, 1 laptop

One user is my daughter (1st desktop, Win98) and I want to deny her
access to a specific folder which contains my work documents (on 2nd
desktop, Win XP Pro)

I have disabled simple file sharing on 2nd desktop

now I am stuck!

I have tried setting up user accounts on the 2nd desktop, and setting
permissions on the folder in question, but when I try to access the
machine from the laptop (Win XP Home) I get a "guest" login with
password prompt.

The "forceguest" entry in the registry on the 2nd desktop is set to 0

How can I set this network up so that I can access whatever I need from
the laptop, but restrict my daughter from accessing folders from her
desktop?

I have set up Win200 previously by creating users on the win2k machine
that were the same logins/passwords on the other network machines.
That gave me the facility to say who could access which folder.

I create a new user on desktop 2, but it seems to createt the user
locally, rather than as a network user ... does that make sense?