Simple LAN cooms proggie?

Old September 17th 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Joe

Default Simple LAN cooms proggie?

I'm looking for a stay resident little prog that will allow me to send
quick messages to remote computers on the home LAN. Nothing serious but
like 'Get you headphones off. dinners ready'!

Of the 3 puters, 2 are running XP and one is 98. They need to be able to
reply to the XP machine that sends the message. I used WinPop when they
were all 98 and that was fine for the purpose.

Any thoughts for XP - XP - 98 and backwards?

TIA
Old September 17th 03, 09:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Joe wrote:
I'm looking for a stay resident little prog that will allow me to send
quick messages to remote computers on the home LAN. Nothing serious
but like 'Get you headphones off. dinners ready'!

Of the 3 puters, 2 are running XP and one is 98. They need to be able
to reply to the XP machine that sends the message. I used WinPop when
they were all 98 and that was fine for the purpose.

Any thoughts for XP - XP - 98 and backwards?

The much abused messenger service will do what you want.

Go to a command prompt and type
Net Send COMPUTERNAME Message

where COMPUTERNAME is the name of the machine you wan't to send to , and
message is the text you want to appear.
You can send to yourself to test it , and can put the above line into a .bat
file which you can double click to run.
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Nick LeLievre should show up with computer parts and a promise
, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old September 17th 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Joe

In article ,
says...
Joe wrote:
[...]

Thanx but I want an open (stay resident) prog and quick access not
through CMD which the other users would not understand. Simple
interface. WinPop in the Startup worked fine until 98 was overtaken :-)
I really don't want Messenger running on any machine with a connection
to the outside world. (I missed saying that - the machines all have
internet access - doh).
Old September 17th 03, 11:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Joe wrote:

I really don't want Messenger running on any machine with a connection
to the outside world. (I missed saying that - the machines all have
internet access - doh).

In that case why not just use MSN messenger on each PC?

Old September 17th 03, 11:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Joe

In article ,
says...
Joe wrote:

I really don't want Messenger running on any machine with a connection
to the outside world. (I missed saying that - the machines all have
internet access - doh).

In that case why not just use MSN messenger on each PC?
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Nick LeLievre should show up with computer parts and a promise
, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Thanx. Don't follow.

Can I have Messanger running locally without internet access? How?

But one machine (the 'teenagers' XP box) does ahve Mess running live.
Old September 18th 03, 12:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

This is fun i have installed it in an internetcafe and could send
messages to any of the pc's even the tills behind the counter ;-)

http://www.gracebyte.com/nassi/

Stephen

"Joe" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old September 18th 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Joe

In article ,
says...
This is fun i have installed it in an internetcafe and could send
messages to any of the pc's even the tills behind the counter ;-)

http://www.gracebyte.com/nassi/

Stephen

Thanks Stephen I've downloaded it and will give it a go.
Old September 19th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Arrow

for any local network use LanTalk XP
http://www.lantalk.net

Joe wrote in message . ..