Corrupt files

Old September 19th 03, 12:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Graham

Default Corrupt files

I have a Netgear DG814 modem/router connected to 2 PCs, one running
Windows XP Pro and the other Windows XP Home, both have file sharing
enabled.

My problem is when I copy a file from one PC to the other the copied
file sometimes gets corrupted. Does anyone know why this is happening
and is there anything I can do to prevent it.

Thanks for any help.

Old September 19th 03, 05:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Sylvan Butler

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 00:03:38 +0100, Graham wrote:
My problem is when I copy a file from one PC to the other the copied
file sometimes gets corrupted. Does anyone know why this is happening
and is there anything I can do to prevent it.

Nasty. It happens. But in my experience it is quite rare.

Do you use explorer to copy files? I have less corruption with the
command line. But I have little XP experience.

It us unlikely to be the network. Packets have check data in them,
so that corrupted packets are detected and resent. Windows XP
_should_ be doing this so the router or cabling or network cards are
quite unlikely to be causing this. Problems in those areas cause
slow network or non-functional network.

Most likely it is hard disk, disk cables, bad ram, or drivers.

If corruption happens very often, you could and should track it
down. To do that, share a directory to the _same_computer_. Then
write a script which repeatedly copies a large file to that share
and verifies all is OK directly thru the filesystem (not the share).
Repeat. (A script can do lots of repeats while you are sleeping or
someplace else, but you could do it all manually.)

Hopefully you will find errors on one computer but not the other.

Once you find which computer is causing the problem, repeat the test
just with the filesystem, no network share. Still a problem? Then
network drivers are not involved. If the problem goes away, it
might be network, it might be timing.

If you have multiple hard disks in a computer, you need to do the
checks with all physical drives.

sdb

--
| Sylvan Butler | Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard | sbutler-boi.hp.com |
| Watch out for my e-mail address. Thank UCE. change ^ to @ |