Help please - browsers don't work

Old September 19th 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Brewer

Default Help please - browsers don't work

Hi

I have a problem with a small home network - mailserver and Internet
gateway machine running Winows 2000 Pro and Microsoft ICS turned on, 1
workstation running W2K and 1 running W98SE.

For some reason the 2 workstation machines have suddenly started
displaying DNS error when I fire up IE6 or Firebird. From both of them I
can ping any URL by name or by ip address and get a return, but the
browsers won't connect. It's driving me mad.

Any ideas welcomed.

TIA
--
Paul
Old September 19th 03, 10:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Paul Brewer wrote:
Hi

I have a problem with a small home network - mailserver and Internet
gateway machine running Winows 2000 Pro and Microsoft ICS turned on, 1
workstation running W2K and 1 running W98SE.

For some reason the 2 workstation machines have suddenly started
displaying DNS error when I fire up IE6 or Firebird. From both of them I
can ping any URL by name or by ip address and get a return, but the
browsers won't connect. It's driving me mad.

Any ideas welcomed.

TIA

Sounds like the DNS servers they are pointing to is down, I have the
same problem every few months ( I am with BT for the moment at least)
Try specifying a different DNS server pairs

here is s a few

demon 158.152.1.58 158.152.1.43

freeserve 194.152.64.68 194.152.64.35

pipex 158.43.240.4 158.240.3