Advice wirelessly networking PCs

Old September 19th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Peter Parker

Default Advice wirelessly networking PCs

Hi,

Some newbie advice needed! I have a PC with an ADSL connection via a USB
modem, running Windows XP Pro, and am thinking about buying a second PC,
which will run Windows 2000 Advanced Server. If I want to network the two
PCs together wirelessly, what are my options, and what hardware will I need?

* I'm UK (London) based
* The budget is small
* For what it's worth, the priority is the second PC being able to use the
same broadband connection, rather than file-sharing between the two
machines.

Also: what is the practical limit on distance / number of walls that
wireless networks can operate through?

Thanks,

PP

Old September 19th 03, 03:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Dave

I have a laptop upstairs netorked wirelessly to router downstairs. Floor is
wood. Works o.k. but signal level is "low" even though room upstairs is
directly above router. Connection does not work beyond this radius - one
brick wall is the limit for my router. Not sure if I would get more out of
another brand. I do know that the practical limit inside a typical home
where you have doors and walls, based on reviews I've seen, is not much more
than 50 or 60 ft with two-year-old technology anyway. The range is nothing
like what you can get with a good digital 2.4 GHz cordless phone.

Old September 19th 03, 03:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Peter Parker

Oh dear, that's *really* bad - I'm looking at a Victorian house, maybe
80ft-ish distance, with several walls and a flight of stairs to get
through....

Is there a more-modern technology that can blast through this? Or can you
increase the signal power somehow?

PP

:-(

Old September 19th 03, 04:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Groove

Peter Parker said this...
Is there a more-modern technology that can blast through this? Or can
you increase the signal power somehow?

There's always this I suppose...
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

No personal experience, but I know it's NOT a joke.

--
~ dvd ~
Old September 19th 03, 05:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Tim Downie

Peter Parker wrote:
Oh dear, that's *really* bad - I'm looking at a Victorian house, maybe
80ft-ish distance, with several walls and a flight of stairs to get
through....

Is there a more-modern technology that can blast through this?

Yep, a hammer drill, ;-)

Having just set up a home network (wired and wireless), I have to say that
the effort of laying the wires is more than repaid by the peace of mind that
that get from having a secure connection.

My wireless bits *do* work but range is a lot less than advertised.

Tim

Old September 19th 03, 10:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Reni Ninan

Companies like D-Link advertise wireless repeaters that can amplify and
increase range, but have no personal experience.

--
Thanks

- Reni