networking XP desktop and 98 laptop

Old September 19th 03, 12:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Robinson

Default networking XP desktop and 98 laptop

Hello,
I am trying to connect my desktop running XP to my laptop running windows
98. I have followed the instructions in the support information but the
desktop doesn't see the laptop and vice versa. The laptop says that the
domain cannot be found. The laptop did used to belong to another domain
once upon a time.

Is there a good resource somewhere that can help me with networking
problems?

regards,
Tony

Old September 19th 03, 01:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Tony Robinson wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to connect my desktop running XP to my laptop running windows
98. I have followed the instructions in the support information but the
desktop doesn't see the laptop and vice versa. The laptop says that the
domain cannot be found. The laptop did used to belong to another domain
once upon a time.

Unless you're running a domain controller (unlikely) the laptop and
desktop should be set to be members of the same _workgroup_, not domain.
First ping each machine from the other (by IP address) to ensure that
TCP/IP is running OK.
Old September 19th 03, 02:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Robinson

Both of the machines are on a workgroup called "home". Both of them have
TCPIP installed but I am unable to ping them.

Any other things I should be checking?

Thanks,
Tony

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...

Old September 19th 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Tony Robinson wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Tony Robinson wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to connect my desktop running XP to my laptop running

windows
98. I have followed the instructions in the support information but the
desktop doesn't see the laptop and vice versa. The laptop says that the
domain cannot be found. The laptop did used to belong to another domain
once upon a time.

Unless you're running a domain controller (unlikely) the laptop and
desktop should be set to be members of the same _workgroup_, not domain.
First ping each machine from the other (by IP address) to ensure that
TCP/IP is running OK.

Both of the machines are on a workgroup called "home". Both of them have
TCPIP installed but I am unable to ping them.

Any other things I should be checking?

What are the IP addresses of the two machines? Are you connecting by hub
or crossover-cable? Does Windows think the NICs are installed and
running OK?
Old September 19th 03, 02:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Tony Robinson wrote:
Both of the machines are on a workgroup called "home". Both of them have
TCPIP installed but I am unable to ping them.

Any other things I should be checking?

Thanks,
Tony

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...

Tony Robinson wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to connect my desktop running XP to my laptop running

windows

98. I have followed the instructions in the support information but the
desktop doesn't see the laptop and vice versa. The laptop says that the
domain cannot be found. The laptop did used to belong to another domain
once upon a time.

Unless you're running a domain controller (unlikely) the laptop and
desktop should be set to be members of the same _workgroup_, not domain.
First ping each machine from the other (by IP address) to ensure that
TCP/IP is running OK.

But is TCP/IP bound to the network cards and not just the dial up adapter ?
Should should be able to see both machines including the PC your are on
and also the workgroup
Also how have you connected the the computer, if it is a direct
connection without a hub you need a crossover cable.

Old September 22nd 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Robinson

How can I check this things about where the TCP/IP is bound?

The computers are connected directly via a network cable.

But is TCP/IP bound to the network cards and not just the dial up adapter

?

Old September 22nd 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Robinson

The IP address of the computer with the dial up internet connection is:
192.168.0.1. The lap top running 98 is 192.168.0.3.

I am connecting the machines via a network cable.

How can find out about NICs?

Thanks,
Tony

Old September 23rd 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ian

"Tony Robinson" wrote in message
How can I check this things about where the TCP/IP is bound?

The computers are connected directly via a network cable.

Tony

are you using a crossover cable? - a normal cat 5 network cable won't work.

Ian

Old September 23rd 03, 10:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Robinson

Hi Ian,
I am using a cat 5 network cable which curiously enough works when I connect
my other laptop which is running XP (unlike the laptop that I can't get to
work that is running windows 98).

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can get a crossover cable.

Tony