Whats the difference between a switch and a hub

Old September 19th 03, 05:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kevin C

Default Whats the difference between a switch and a hub

My switch on my P2P network has died, a friend says he has a redundant 8
port hub from his office which I can have.
He says he has no info on it though and thinks it may need configuring.

Can I replace my switch with this hub, and do hubs normally need to be
configured, my switch just needed plugging up to work.

Old September 19th 03, 05:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Kevin C wrote:
My switch on my P2P network has died, a friend says he has a redundant 8
port hub from his office which I can have.
He says he has no info on it though and thinks it may need configuring.

Can I replace my switch with this hub, and do hubs normally need to be
configured, my switch just needed plugging up to work.

A basic hub is a repeater - that is, it receives packets on one port and
retransmits the packet to all ports, so if more than one packet is en-
route at any time collisions will occur and retries be required.
A switched hub performs routing at a low level - it stores the MAC
address of each attached device and forwards each received packet only to
the relevant port; this allows duplex operation, where packets can be
sent and received at the same time because the switching prevents most
collisions.
As far as I am aware there's no such thing as a managed "dumb" hub,
because there's nothing to manage on it, so it shouldn't require any
configuration. However you will need to reset all your NICs to use half-
duplex if you've been using (full)duplex, and this could result in
slowdown on a busy network.
Old September 19th 03, 10:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Kevin C wrote:

My switch on my P2P network has died, a friend says he has a redundant 8
port hub from his office which I can have.
He says he has no info on it though and thinks it may need configuring.

Can I replace my switch with this hub, and do hubs normally need to be
configured, my switch just needed plugging up to work.

Dumb hubs don't need to be configured -- not true for managed hubs.
If its redundant its likely to be an old 10baseT unit and if from a
small office/workgroup it lis likely to be unmanaged.

Old September 19th 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Rob Morley wrote:
Kevin C wrote:
[...]

You can get hubs that can be managed to give them an IP address etc , but
they are rare
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Nick LeLievre should show up with computer parts and a promise
, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk