U.S.Robotics 100mb Wireless router

Old September 19th 03, 11:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ferg

Default U.S.Robotics 100mb Wireless router

I was thinking of getting the new U.S.Robotics 100mb Wireless router,
i am new to networking and appreciate any advice and comments on this
hardware,link below

I cuurently have 2 pcs at home and im using an alcatel adsl modem
presently,am i correct if only other hardware i need is
a USR wireless access point for other pc,my son uses his PC upstairs and im
hoping i have selected appropiate hardware
to share net access,thanks for any help!i also presume i need to contact
freeserve for any new settings

ferg

remove nospam to reply

Old September 20th 03, 03:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sunil Sood

"ferg" wrote in message

I was thinking of getting the new U.S.Robotics 100mb Wireless router,
i am new to networking and appreciate any advice and comments on this
hardware,link below

I cuurently have 2 pcs at home and im using an alcatel adsl modem

I am currently considering my options as I need to network some machines
together as well...

Am I correct in assuming that you no longer wish to use the Alcatel USB
modem?

Its just that the the router you have linked to above does not include a
built in ADSL modem - its a common error that people make.

Also your main computer would need a network card fitted, if it doesn't
already have one.

presently,am i correct if only other hardware i need is
a USR wireless access point for other pc,my son uses his PC upstairs and

im
hoping i have selected appropiate hardware
to share net access,thanks for any help!

A wireless PCI card/USB add on would be sufficient for your son's PC as well
as being cheaper - a wireless access point would be overkill.

If you are happy to have your computer on/connected whenever your son needs
to use his all you need are 2 wireless PCI card/USB add on's (one for you
and one for your son) in conjunction with the Alcatel USB modem

If you want your son to be able to connect to the net independently from you
(i.e. your computer could be off) than you will need a wireless router (with
built in ADSL modem) attached to your computer with a network card (and the
ADSL line) and a PCI card/USB wireless thing for your son.

This 2nd option would make your Alcatel modem redundant

Regards
Sunil