Why no network when using Belkin 54g & 802.11b PC adaptor?

Old September 20th 03, 12:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Carrick

Default Why no network when using Belkin 54g & 802.11b PC adaptor?

I have 2 PC's with Belkin F5D6050 802.11b wireless adaptors

with latest drivers. I also have a Belkin 54g F5D7230-4

DSL/Router which I have configured with a PC via a NIC. It is

supposed to be backward compatible with 802.11b and has the

latest firmware. Router LAN Settings are as follows:-

IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: Enabled

I haven't as yet got a modem connection however I still would

like to know if the PC's will talk to the router as an access

point. Both adaptors (set to 'Infrastructure') appear to see

the router, the signal strength is good. IP Settings for the

PC's are set to obtain an IP address automatically.

Each PC cannot see the other and the workgroup is the same.

Using 'ipconfig' on a PC gives these settings:-

Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.33.159
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: blank

I have tried manually setting TCP/IP settings but just can't

get the two PC's to communicate (they worked fine in 'Ad-Hoc'

mode).

Should this just work or am I missing sopmething? Do I need a

separate access point as well as this router? Does the

internet connection need to be active? The diagrams on the box

look like wireless PC's will just communicate!

Thanks in advance.