Wireless card overheating?

Old September 18th 03, 11:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tom Symonds

Default Wireless card overheating?

I've got a small wireless network with a Netgear wireless router, a PC
cabled to the router, a Laptop with a Netgear wireless card, and an HP iPAQ
with built in wifi. The iPAQ works perfectly on the network as does the
PC.
But the laptop keeps intermittantly losing the wireless signal. Signal
strength is fine, but sometimes 100% of pings to the router are getting
lost. I thought it was the PCMCIA port on the laptop so had that replaced,
but still the problem persists.
I have noticed the laptop (a Compaq 900) gets pretty hot, as does the
wireless card, and wondered if this could affect the connection. Any
Thoughts?

Old September 21st 03, 12:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:35:39 +0100, "Tom Symonds"
wrote:

I've got a small wireless network with a Netgear wireless router, a PC
cabled to the router, a Laptop with a Netgear wireless card, and an HP iPAQ
with built in wifi. The iPAQ works perfectly on the network as does the
PC.
But the laptop keeps intermittantly losing the wireless signal. Signal
strength is fine, but sometimes 100% of pings to the router are getting
lost. I thought it was the PCMCIA port on the laptop so had that replaced,
but still the problem persists.
I have noticed the laptop (a Compaq 900) gets pretty hot, as does the
wireless card, and wondered if this could affect the connection.

I've got a Netgear 54mbps AP and PC card.

My PC card also gets quite hot but I've not noticed any problems.

You didn't mention if your system is 802.11b or g

Geoff Lane

Old September 23rd 03, 01:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

My PC card also gets quite hot but I've not noticed any problems.

You didn't mention if your system is 802.11b or g

Oh just plain old 'B'.

Is your access point also 802.11b

Reason I ask is that I've got an 802.11g AP and PCI card plus an
802.11b card in a handheld.

All get quite warm, well not the AP.

I had to slow down the AP's transmission rate otherwise my handheld's
card was losing 40% of pings. Once slowed down it got 100%

Geoff Lane

Old September 23rd 03, 09:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Captain Paraletic

I had a Toshiba Laptop giving me similar problems it would "hang"
after a certain amount of time.
Discovered the PCMCIA slot was in close proximity to the processor and
I think basically the combination of heat from the processor and the
wireless card trips one of them.
I tried the same card in a compaq laptop and no problems.. guess it's
the heat factor thats to blame.

CP

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:42:41 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

My PC card also gets quite hot but I've not noticed any problems.

You didn't mention if your system is 802.11b or g

Oh just plain old 'B'.

Is your access point also 802.11b

Reason I ask is that I've got an 802.11g AP and PCI card plus an
802.11b card in a handheld.

All get quite warm, well not the AP.

I had to slow down the AP's transmission rate otherwise my handheld's
card was losing 40% of pings. Once slowed down it got 100%

Geoff Lane

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather,
not kicking and screaming like those in the back
of his car....
Old September 23rd 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tom Symonds

Sounds like it could be that. Would also explain why there are no problems
in my iPAQ. Having said that one of my two wifi cards seems to be working
ok since the PCMCIA slot was repaired. I'm only getting 40 percent signal
(ground floor of 3 floor house, with accesspoint on the top floor) but it
doesn't seem to be slowing down too much.
On the aint broke don't fix principle I think I'll leave it alone for now!

Thanks for comments