Sharing NTL Broadband between 4 people

Old September 22nd 03, 12:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark

Default Sharing NTL Broadband between 4 people

I am student sharing a house with three others and am planning to get
NTL broadband and share the connection. I've read many posts and have
decided to go for the Netgear RP614 Broadband Router with RJ45 Cat5e
Cables, all the PCs have network cards.
Is this all I need? When the NTL man comes to install it do I just
connect the NTL modem to the router and the router to the PCs and away
we go?

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions then I'd appreciate it

thanks

Mark
Old September 22nd 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Phoenix wrote:
On 22 Sep 2003 04:08:27 -0700, Mark wrote:

I am student sharing a house with three others and am planning to get
NTL broadband and share the connection. I've read many posts and have
decided to go for the Netgear RP614 Broadband Router with RJ45 Cat5e
Cables, all the PCs have network cards.
Is this all I need? When the NTL man comes to install it do I just
connect the NTL modem to the router and the router to the PCs and away
we go?

They usually won't install your connection to a router as they don't
provide support for networks. If they install it to one PC you can then
switch it to the router after the engineer has left. If you need some help
or further info on setting up the connection with the router visit the NTL
or Router forum at www.cm-forums.co.uk

NTL will not normally touch your computer equipment at all. They just
connect up the modem to the incoming co-ax and check it's working. The
instructions that come with the router should help you through all the
stages. It's important to follow the instructions about powering-up things
in the correct order.

--
Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old September 25th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Soames

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions then I'd appreciate it

Don't even think of showing the router and 4 PC to the goon who installs the
kit as he'll throw a hissy fit. Just play dumb and show him one PC and ask
him to connect the LAN cable to it. Then startup the PC, fire up the browser
and register using the details on your welcome letter. Once you've done
that, power off, connect the router to the cable modem and plug in the PCt o
the router. Fire up, and clone the MAC address of the PC into the router so
ntl aren't savvy to to the fact you've bunged a router in there. Once you'r
online, hook up the other 3 PCs to the router and let it take care of the
DHCP, NAT and wirewalling tasks. Download your MP3 :-)

Old September 28th 03, 01:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ntl: Victim

You don't ever have to do any of that crap anyway. I build & fix PC's at
home for a living and always used to swap connect my cable modem to what
ever PC I was working on at that time, the only thing I did was turn off the
cable modem for a couple of minutes while changing it over to the other
computer. Since I've now got the Netgear WGR614 I don't need to do that
anymore.

Oh and with the way that it all works anyway NTL will never have a clue how
many PC's are connected to the damn thing anyway...

Oh and one more thing I read somewhere the other day that there has been
something passed recently in parliament allowing those with high bandwidth
connections to sell off bandwidth to their neighbours i.e. your own lil
wireless network with your neighbours paying you for use of your system.

NV

"chris" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:21:09 +0000 (UTC) and in article bkvbml$95$1
@titan.btinternet.com, Colin Soames said...
: Fire up, and clone the MAC address of the PC into the router so
: ntl aren't savvy to to the fact you've bunged a router in there
:
You haven't needed to do this for *years* on NTL now. NTL supports auth
of up to 3 MAC addresses.

--
chris

Old September 29th 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ntl: Victim

*snip*

I am student sharing a house with three others and am planning to get
NTL broadband and share the connection. I've read many posts and have
decided to go for the Netgear RP614 Broadband Router with RJ45 Cat5e
Cables, all the PCs have network cards.
Is this all I need? When the NTL man comes to install it do I just
connect the NTL modem to the router and the router to the PCs and away
we go?

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions then I'd appreciate it

thanks

Mark

*Sigh*

Again asswipe since the guy WAS talking about connecting to the NTL
broadband via a router I believe the conversation WAS on topic.

And again you can connect the damn cable modem up to as many different MAC
addresses as you like but not at the same time unless you go for the Xbox
live service which will total the 3, your Digital STB, Cable Modem and the
Xbox itself.

Don't fuk with me sonny since I used to work for the ******s before all the
cut backs.....

I suggest you fuk right off

Cheers
NV (ex employee but generally a nice guy unless provoked by those with a
little knowledge of fuk all)

"chris" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:53:41 +0100 and in article Whqdb.1281$RU4.12971
@newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net, ntl: Victim said...
: Oh and with the way that it all works anyway NTL will never have a clue

how
: many PC's are connected to the damn thing anyway...

*sigh*

Another top poster, with wrong 'information'. NTL know *exactly* how
many PCs have accessed their service from your line as they AUTH using
MAC address! If you are behind a router, then they will only see the
router, but we were *not* talking about routers.

I suggest you engage brain before posting again.

--
chris

Old September 29th 03, 09:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ntl: Victim

Excuse me you don't have to re-register at all, I have connected over 40
different MAC addresses while swapping through different PC's on the same
single Cable modem in the previous 6 months.

Anyway I have had enough of arguing with someone who obviously believes he's
right and will not be told otherwise. You don't happen to be one of those
no brainers that works at PC World would you?

I'm not quite sure where you are getting your information though on the
whole NTL way of things but you are misinformed.

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:55:52 +0100 and in article rcUdb.2485$QH3.1015
@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net, ntl: Victim said...
: Again asswipe since the guy WAS talking about connecting to the NTL
: broadband via a router I believe the conversation WAS on topic.

Top poster, again, facts wrong. The poster in question stated that you
needed to clone the MAC address of the NIC you registered the cable
service with to your router. I pointed out this was false information.
You then charge in, using your mi$roslosh client, stating you can
connect as many MAC addresses as you like. This is wrong.

: And again you can connect the damn cable modem up to as many different

MAC
: addresses as you like

No, you cannot. 3 is your limit. Anymore and you have to re-register.

: but not at the same time unless you go for the Xbox
: live service which will total the 3

No, it won't. Do you even know what the Xbox live service provisions
for? Hint: it's allows NTLs DHCP server to assign you another IP
address.

: Don't fuk with me sonny since

LOL. The un-educated in society.

--
chris

Old September 30th 03, 10:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mindwipe

you don't say
"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:56:29 +0100 and in article t%0eb.2562$RU4.30804
@newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net, ntl: Victim said...
: Anyway I have had enough of arguing with someone who obviously believes

he's
: right and will not be told otherwise. You don't happen to be one of

those
: no brainers that works at PC World would you?

Funnily enough, I'm at a Russell Group University reading a Masters
degree. So ho hum.

re my information about NTL. 2 years of using their service. However,
if you have connected up to 40 devices then my (old) information is
outdated.

Also, can you not top post please. It's the sure sign of a ****wit.

--
chris