W98SE & Realtek 8019 ISA

Old September 22nd 03, 11:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Den

Default W98SE & Realtek 8019 ISA

Because of swapping this RTL8019 ISA card with my other PC
I find that I cannot setup the W98 driver for this. I have tried two others
without sucess. though the 8029(AS) PCI was no problem swapping.
As my four other PC's run W98/W95 Realtek compataible ISA cards I
assume this could be a problem with these in the future as well.

Is there any way of re-installing these cards without resorting to a fresh
windows install, as I find that all the different floppy setup disks utilities
cannot even access the NW card settings. (All Realtek or NE2000 compatible)
As noted from previous post PlugNplay/jumperless seems to confirm this.

A possiblilty is that Zonealarm is causing this (MS site), though even booting with floppy I still cannot check as to whether the
cards are set to plug&play or not.
PS
All the PC's are connected with BNC cable and it looks like the newer cards
are RJ45 only, not dual like the existing ones. :-(

Den

Old September 23rd 03, 09:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

"Den" wrote in
message ...
Because of swapping this RTL8019 ISA card with my other PC
I find that I cannot setup the W98 driver for this. I have tried two

others
without sucess. though the 8029(AS) PCI was no problem swapping.
As my four other PC's run W98/W95 Realtek compataible ISA cards I
assume this could be a problem with these in the future as well.
Is there any way of re-installing these cards without resorting to a fresh
windows install, as I find that all the different floppy setup disks

utilities
cannot even access the NW card settings. (All Realtek or NE2000

compatible)
As noted from previous post PlugNplay/jumperless seems to confirm this.

You can reinstall any device by uninstalling it via the system tree applet
in control panel..

However the problem is most likely caused by an IRQ conflict on IRQ 10 or
11 most likely with a PCI modem. boot from a DOS flopy and use the setup
program for the card to change the IRQ it uses however ISA cards are a pain
in the neck, get rid of it and go PCI
You can get 10mbs PCI combo cards with both types of connector quite cheaply
see the networking section of http://www.pless.co.uk item 1290: PCI
NE2000 COMBO 10 MBIT CARD 9.00 + p&p
However now is the time to convert to a 100baseT network the cards, hubs and
even routers are dirt cheap and it is the way to ensure future connectivity
for at least a few years.