Networking and AOL

Old September 23rd 03, 07:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
The Plebism

Default Networking and AOL

If I have a pc running Windows 98 and the user connects with AOL (dialup at
present),

do you setup a home network in the same way as if it were a regular dialup /
broadband connection.

Im fine networking a normal connection, but I'm not used to AOL, I believe
it uses a different network setup.

Thanks

Pleb

Old September 26th 03, 04:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Eugh, AOL is awful for networking. Just change to another ISP that supports
routers.

The way AOL's connection works (uses their own proprietory protocol for DSL
connection in UK) you cannot use PPPoE or oA which is required to use AOL
with any broadband router, or most of the stuff built into windows or 3rd
party ICS's.

The ONLY way to do it at the moment is to use a program from analogx.com
called Proxy which allows you to share the connection to other PCs. This
requires the main PC to be signed on to AOL, and then the other PCs can ONLY
use Internet Explorer and other such compatible programs (NOT Aol's software
on the client machine).

Good luck

Old September 28th 03, 07:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
The Plebism

Good luck

hehe

Thanks mate :-)

Im actually running a succesful Telewest home network with no probs. It's my
buddy who is a die hard AOL fan.

His loss

I shall pass on the info

Cheers ;-)