Anyone help with DFE-2616x D-Link?

Old September 23rd 03, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Mann

Default Anyone help with DFE-2616x D-Link?

I have been asked to set up a network of 6 computers for teaching purposes.

These do not need internet access, but each computer needs to access a
central printer and scanner. (only 1 printer & scanner).

I have been given a DFE-2616x Hub, and necessary cables.

Each computer has a 10/100 ethernet card installed.

The operating system is WIN98.

Never seen one of these hubs before - can anyone tell me if it is just a
matter of connecting the computers to the Hub, making one a fileserver
(having the printer and scanner connected), and then just running Network
Set-up Wizard to install the software - or is it more complicated?

And can a scanner be used across a network?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am a little overawed by the
prospect!.

Many thanks for any contributions.

Alan

Old September 23rd 03, 02:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Alan Mann wrote:
I have been asked to set up a network of 6 computers for teaching purposes.

These do not need internet access, but each computer needs to access a
central printer and scanner. (only 1 printer & scanner).

I have been given a DFE-2616x Hub, and necessary cables.

Each computer has a 10/100 ethernet card installed.

The operating system is WIN98.

Never seen one of these hubs before - can anyone tell me if it is just a
matter of connecting the computers to the Hub, making one a fileserver
(having the printer and scanner connected), and then just running Network
Set-up Wizard to install the software - or is it more complicated?

And can a scanner be used across a network?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am a little overawed by the
prospect!.

Many thanks for any contributions.

Alan

Never met this particular hub according to this url
http://www.pcnetlan.com/public/DFE-2600.html
it is a switched dumb hub which is just about ideal for what you want --
it needs no configuration. It can accomodate 10mbs 10baseT or 100baseT
connections.

If you simply want to connect the computers together in the same room
all you need is a network card (sometimes called a NIC) and a straight
patch cable between each computer and the hub. I would sugest Realtek
8139 100baseT PCI network cards because they are cheap (5 to 10 pounds)
pretty reliable and easy to fit. If you are only using Win98 on the
network the simplest way is to use the NETBUI protocol, with Win98 this
will install automatically when you load the drivers for the card --
The network is configured in the control panel "Networking" applet which
will appear after you install the card.

From this applet you will also need to install "Client for Microsoft
Networks" and "File & Printer sharing" for Microsoft networks and under
the identification tab give each computer a unique name and create a
work group work group name is identical for all machines in the group.

Folder and printer sharing is set up from windows explorer using a menu
item "Shring" that appears after networking is installed.

The major problem is network security under win98 you don't have any ?

Try this url for more info.
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...et-Win98P1.asp

Old September 24th 03, 08:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Mann

Thank you AWM - just the info I needed.

The computers already have cards installed - not sure whether they are 10
baseT or 100 baseT.
And I was given some ethernet cables, which I assume are correct.

It seems that all I have to bother about is the configuration - sounds
fairly simple according to your post.

I have already set up a network of two computers at home (running XP though,
and connected to cable broadband), so it should be something similar.

Network security not really a problem, these are not connected to the
internet, and the only software I am leaving on them is Photoshop.

Going today to set up the system, so will let you know how successful this
was.

Regards

Alan

"awm" wrote in message
[...]