Internet Sharing - IP addresses

Old September 24th 03, 10:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

Default Internet Sharing - IP addresses

Network set up
1.Dual Boot Win98/Linux - Wired 192.168.0.1
2.WinME - wired 192.168.0.2
3. XP Home - wired and WiFi 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.4 WiFi)
4.pocketpc2003 WiFi 192.168.0.5
5. Netgear wireless AP 192.168.0.227

I've had a home network set up and working fine, because of the layout
my older machine has been used as a server and as a result internet
sharing was done via Linux otherwise file sharing and printer sharing
worked fine with either OS.

Owing to an extension being built I wanted to temporarily use the
Laptop with XP as the main machine and the handheld connecting via
WiFi.

I can manage to get a connection whereby pings to each work OK and the
handheld can read and copy files on the laptop but I cannot get the
handheld to be able to access the internet, I keep getting 'page not
found' or something similar.

I've tried static IPs changing the laptop to 192.168.0.1 and the
handheld to 192.168.0.2 - which is how the file sharing works.

I've tried using automatic IP - the handheld appears to get
169.254.***.*** using this method.

I have obviously allowed sharing on the network set up (or at least I
think I have) all to no avail.

I bet it is something simple but I haven't a clue what, any pointers
appreciated.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals

Old September 24th 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Graham

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:50:13 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

[...]

Hi Geoff,

Your IP addressing looks fine, I think what is wrong here is the default
gateway address is probably still pointing to the Linux machine. Any IP
packets that can't be routed locally need to be forwarded to a machine
that knows what to do with them and this is now the laptop.

hope this helps, graham

Old September 25th 03, 01:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Rob Morley

Geoff Lane wrote:
[...]

Windows ICS likes to be in charge of DHCP.

I've tried using automatic IP - the handheld appears to get
169.254.***.*** using this method.

That means it's getting nothing from DHCP, and guessing something for
itself. This would imply that ICS isn't running properly. Suggest you
have a look at this:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
Old September 25th 03, 09:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
awm

Geoff Lane wrote:
Network set up
1.Dual Boot Win98/Linux - Wired 192.168.0.1
2.WinME - wired 192.168.0.2
3. XP Home - wired and WiFi 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.4 WiFi)
4.pocketpc2003 WiFi 192.168.0.5
5. Netgear wireless AP 192.168.0.227

snip

I can manage to get a connection whereby pings to each work OK and the
handheld can read and copy files on the laptop but I cannot get the
handheld to be able to access the internet, I keep getting 'page not
found' or something similar.

Could it be a DNS problem ?

Old September 25th 03, 12:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:19:32 +0000 (UTC), awm
wrote:

Network set up
1.Dual Boot Win98/Linux - Wired 192.168.0.1
2.WinME - wired 192.168.0.2
3. XP Home - wired and WiFi 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.4 WiFi)
4.pocketpc2003 WiFi 192.168.0.5
5. Netgear wireless AP 192.168.0.227

snip

I can manage to get a connection whereby pings to each work OK and the
handheld can read and copy files on the laptop but I cannot get the
handheld to be able to access the internet, I keep getting 'page not
found' or something similar.

Could it be a DNS problem ?

Don't think so as I've entered my preferred DNS servers but I might
try and disable the onboard LAN just in case the settings are for the
wired NIC and it might be bypassing the WiFi set up.

Geoff Lane

Old September 26th 03, 11:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:23:51 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Network set up
1.Dual Boot Win98/Linux - Wired 192.168.0.1
2.WinME - wired 192.168.0.2
3. XP Home - wired and WiFi 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.4 WiFi)
4.pocketpc2003 WiFi 192.168.0.5
5. Netgear wireless AP 192.168.0.227

snip

I can manage to get a connection whereby pings to each work OK and the
handheld can read and copy files on the laptop but I cannot get the
handheld to be able to access the internet, I keep getting 'page not
found' or something similar.

Could it be a DNS problem ?

Don't think so as I've entered my preferred DNS servers but I might
try and disable the onboard LAN just in case the settings are for the
wired NIC and it might be bypassing the WiFi set up.

That didn't work :-(((

Geoff Lane