belkin 54g + 3com 11g WAP woes

Old September 25th 03, 07:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blues Punk

Default belkin 54g + 3com 11g WAP woes

I recently bought a 3com OfficeConnect 11g WAP and a Belkin 54g PCI
card, both supposedly supporting the 802.11g standard.

Well I've had a lots of "fun" trying to get them to talk to each other
in anything other 802.11b.

I've updated every conceivable driver and firmware, been through every
single setting I can find about a dozen times, both with and without
Belkin Tech Support on the line. All to no avail -- as far as my PCI
and WAP are concerned the other is capable of 802.11b and no more.

Now I should mention that the 3com 11g PC Card which came bundled with
the WAP runs at 802.11g every time.

Belkin are shrugging shoulders, 3com are fairly certain the Belkin kit
it at fault. I'm inclined to agree.

Getting to the point ...

Has anyone else had a similar problem with this card on a different
WAP or this WAP with a different card ... or indeed has anyone had the
same combination as I have working at 802.11g?

Any advice or anecdotes will be much appreciated!

Cheers,

-Blues
Old October 9th 03, 11:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Desmond Silveira

Blues Punk wrote in message . ..
[...]

Hi,

I have the 3Com OfficeConnect 54Mbs Access Point (same as you) and
Belkin 54g Wireless Desktop Card. I have managed to get this working
successfully at 11g standard ie. 54Mbps.

Goto
http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=

and download the suitable OS driver. E.g. I downloaded
F5D7000 802.11g-Compliant Drivers - Europe(except France) for Windows
XP. The revision no. is 2.3 and its about 17.8MB total.

1). Run the setup (single executable file).
2). When it prompts to remove the previous drivers and utilities
answer yes.
3). Reboot the machine.
4). Run the same setup file again it will place a driver called
bcmwl5.inf & .sys in the \Program Files\Belkin\Belkin 54Mbps wireless
utility\Driver directory. Windows XP detects the new hardware, point
it to the driver that is found in the path mentioned. Finish the
driver installation as normal and that's it!

Note - Other points. I use Channel 11 on the 3Com Access Point.

Hope this helps

Desmond Silveira