Access Point Name and SSID

Old September 26th 03, 11:37 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Access Point Name and SSID

On my Netgear Wireless Acess Point I have the option to change the
Access Point name as well as the SSID.

I know what the SSID is but haven't any idea what the use of the
Access Point name is - is it some form of security, I can't see how
though.

Geoff Lane

Old September 26th 03, 01:15 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Geoff Lane wrote in
news
On my Netgear Wireless Acess Point I have the option to change the
Access Point name as well as the SSID.

I know what the SSID is but haven't any idea what the use of the
Access Point name is - is it some form of security, I can't see how
though.

The AP name is intended for use where you have more than one AP
deployed in a network and you want to manage them from a central
point - the name just helps you distinguish which one you're talking
to from the management station.

--
BRG
===
Old September 27th 03, 04:36 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:15:35 GMT, BRG
wrote:

On my Netgear Wireless Acess Point I have the option to change the
Access Point name as well as the SSID.

I know what the SSID is but haven't any idea what the use of the
Access Point name is - is it some form of security, I can't see how
though.

The AP name is intended for use where you have more than one AP
deployed in a network and you want to manage them from a central
point - the name just helps you distinguish which one you're talking
to from the management station.

Ah, now it makes sense.

Thanks.

Geoff Lane