Corrupt files EVERYWHERE!

Old September 28th 03, 12:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Dan

Default Corrupt files EVERYWHERE!

Wow I had the exact same problem with an "XP-------ME" Network
connection. I had so many problems trying to get TCP\IP to transfer
files above like 12k, so I was exploring different protocals. Started
with IPX\NWlink and the file tranfer rate problem was taken care of,
but it was suddenly corrupting ALL of the files it transfered. Any
data or media file had garbage or were simpliy inacessable. All of
the corruption seemed to occur going upstream from the ME to the XP
machine(ME-----XP). When I would transfer the other way around
(XP----ME)There was great throughput and no corruption. After
trying NWlink I set up NetBEUI on both machines, but the corruption
was STILL a problem. I am going crazy here because I know the cable
is good, and both of the network cards transfer onto other machines
without a problem. the whole TCP\IP transfer rate is unacceptable
because I have at least 10GB of important data that has to be
transfered. I don't have a week to wait. Is there a registry setting
that I can change on the Xp machine that will allow for a faster Xfer
rate under TCP\IP, or maybe there is some way to solve the packet
corruption. Thanks for any contribution.

Daniel Lightsey
Old September 28th 03, 12:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
CJT

Dan wrote:

[...]

try transferring via FTP in binary mode

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the
"SWEN" worm, I have concluded we must conceal our

Charlie

Old September 28th 03, 01:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Iain Miller

"CJT" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

[...]

No, try forgetting transferring between ME & XP & upgrade the ME Machine to
XP. I struggled with ME to XP & vice versa for months & got inconsistent
results all over the place - never the same transfer speed twice. I changed
the cables, the NICs and reloaded & reconfigured both OS's. Eventually in
desparation I used my existing copy of XP & upgraded the ME (obviously
without activating the XP!) to see if that would fix it . Lo and behold it
did - both my machines have fairly quick disk systems and I can get
sustained rates of 10 MB/s (not Megabits, MegaBytes!) in either direction if
I'm transferring large files. That's around 80% utilization which is the
most you'd ever see on 100meg network given TCP/IP overheads etc. For
multiple file transfers I get about 5-6MB/s.

So I went out & bought another copy of XP & installed that, threw ME in the
bin & havn't had a problem since.

I don't know what the problem with ME-XP is but I did read something,
somewhere about there being some buggy/incorrect code in the 98/ME IP stack.
That said, it wasn't any better using FTP or NetBEUI do maybe there is more
to it.....

One thing though, I never saw any file corruption that I know of so I'm not
sure why you are getting that.

Hope that helps

I.

Old September 28th 03, 06:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
CJT

Iain Miller wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message

Dan wrote:

[...]

If upgrading the OS is an option, skip XP and go straight to Linux.

Old September 30th 03, 01:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
CJT

chris wrote:
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 04:48:01 GMT and in article 3F766838.9030602
@prodigy.net, CJT said...
: If upgrading the OS is an option, skip XP and go straight to Linux.
:
..says he on Windows 98!

Yeah, this is the machine I use for Usenet access, mostly because the
stock trading software I use requires Windows. But I'm surrounded by
non-Windows stuff for the real work.