Mail servers

Old September 27th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Ian Donaldson

Default Mail servers

I was wondering if someone could suggest some software I could use.
Basically I want to set up a box(which I can put into the garage so that
I can sleep at night) that can download my emails from several sources
and then dispense them in a way that I can read my emails from any other
boxes on my home network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old September 27th 03, 11:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Hauke Zuehl

Ian Donaldson wrote:

[Tux-box in a garage fetching mails over nite]

Sounds you want fetchmail

Regards Ian Donaldson

Regards,
Hauke
--
Aus Ben Hur (1959): Wer nicht fuer Rom ist, ist gegen Rom
George W. Bush (2002): Wer nicht fuer uns ist, ist gegen uns
Old September 27th 03, 11:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Alan Connor

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:27:03 +0200, Hauke Zuehl wrote:

Ian Donaldson wrote:

[Tux-box in a garage fetching mails over nite]

Sounds you want fetchmail

Regards Ian Donaldson

Regards,
Hauke
--
Aus Ben Hur (1959): Wer nicht fuer Rom ist, ist gegen Rom
George W. Bush (2002): Wer nicht fuer uns ist, ist gegen uns

And procmail :-))

--
Later, Alan C
take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- http://tinyurl.com/l55a

Old September 28th 03, 12:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Brian D

wrote:

Ian Donaldson wrote:

[Tux-box in a garage fetching mails over nite]

Sounds you want fetchmail

And procmail :-))

I used to use sendmail as well, but I found it unnecessary, as you can
directly invoke procmail from fetchmail, but I'd add spamassassin to your
procmail script.

--
BD
add 1 to from address to reply [13435]

Old September 28th 03, 12:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
ray

Ian Donaldson wrote:
I was wondering if someone could suggest some software I could use.
Basically I want to set up a box(which I can put into the garage so that
I can sleep at night) that can download my emails from several sources
and then dispense them in a way that I can read my emails from any other
boxes on my home network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

How about a mini-itx system - low cost, low heat, low noise. See
www.mini-itx.com

Old September 28th 03, 12:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Stephan Reihle

Ian Donaldson schrieb:
I was wondering if someone could suggest some software I could use.
Basically I want to set up a box(which I can put into the garage so that
I can sleep at night) that can download my emails from several sources
and then dispense them in a way that I can read my emails from any other
boxes on my home network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Hi,

with fetchmail and sendmail (or postfix, qmail or any other mta) you can
set up your mailserver if you donŽt need acces to your accounts from
Windoze-Boxes. If you do, youŽll have to install something like popper
(for access via pop3) or cyrus (for imap4).

If you like it a bit more comfortable you can install a webmailer like
squirrelmail, skyrix/opengroupware, horde or php-groupware. Since your
mails remain on your server you can access and edit them from whitchever
place in your LAN, even from outside via internet.

HTH

Stephan Reihle

Old September 28th 03, 03:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Torsten Stauder

That's a misunderstanding!
A mail-server doesn't fetch emails for you. A mail-server sends mail to
other servers and vice versa.
What you are lookin' for is fetchmail. Well but maybe you wanna use a
mail-server for processing that emails have been fetched. In that case I'd
suggest you using postfix.

Old September 29th 03, 02:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Arron

I have a simular setup, with some add ons. I have high speed internet, linux
box (amd 333, 64 megs ram, you dont need much to make a dedicated server)
thats the firewall / masqurade to the rest of my house, with a dynamic dns
ip for a webpage, email server with fetchmail that gets all my email and
hotmail accounts sorts it, then i use a imap server to get to it from
windows/or whatever and it stays on the server (very convient) and a online
www mail (on the www server) so i can read all the same mail on the road and
send it as well. And a webcam just for kicks. There is a couple other things
on it for niceness (windows shares etc) as well. Been running for a couple
years now and its great! Let me know if you need any ideas/help :-)

Arron

Old September 29th 03, 04:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Lew Pitcher

Ian Donaldson wrote:
I was wondering if someone could suggest some software I could use.
Basically I want to set up a box(which I can put into the garage so that
I can sleep at night) that can download my emails from several sources
and then dispense them in a way that I can read my emails from any other
boxes on my home network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do this.

I use fetchmail (run nightly from a cron job) to retrieve mail posted to my
"public" account at my ISP. Fetchmail drops the mail into my home server's
mail system, where it sits waiting for someone to retrieve it.

I've got a procmail recipe that re-addresses some mail (depending on which
member of my family it was destined for), and (in conjunction with
SpamAssassin) classifies it for spam content.

During the day, members of my family use their own systems to retrieve (via
POP3) their mail from my home server.

So,
cron (to schedule the retrieval)
fetchmail (to retrieve mail from the ISP)
sendmail (to deliver mail within the LAN)
procmail (to process delivered mail)
SpamAssassin (to classify for Spam)
popa3d (to deliver mail to lan clients via POP3)

each member has a mailbox on the server, and can connect to it for their mail.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

Old January 6th 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.suse
Scott

Hi Arron,

I've got a q for you, hopefully you can shed some light my way on how to
get my home system working like you described. I've got the following on my
home network; 1 win2k server, which for a long time has been my gateway to my
cable modem using NAT.

I have 3 win2k pro machines:

Kekatz: Scanning station sharing a deskjet 5500 inkjet printer
Nutron: MP3/Gaming machine
Armada2k: Wireless notebook, mobile DJ machine for the road.

Recently I've installed my first jaunt into the Linux world, running an older
AMD K6-400Mhz w/ 128mb ram and 4GB storage. RH 6.2 (because it's all I had in
my CD collection).

I'm interested in building this linux machine to be the email gateway for my
network. I have my local ISP mail account, hotmail, and have a domiain name
registered, but not using it right now, hawkwynd.com.

Perhaps you can point me to some resources I can 'bone' up on to get my linux
machine to be my mail server, as well, I'd like to know more about filtering
the tons of spam I get all the time from those Viagara distributors..

Any info you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott Fleming