How can I improve signal strength on peer-to-peer 802.11g?

Old September 28th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anon

Default How can I improve signal strength on peer-to-peer 802.11g?

How can I improve signal strength on peer-to-peer 802.11g?

I have 2 x 54g Belkin wireless PCI cards in 2 PCs situated in separate rooms
about 25 metres apart with 2 walls in-between. Everything works fine but
the signal strength varies from Low to Very Low, and the speed from 5Mbps to
18Mbps. File copying takes quite a long time compared to my old wired
network.

Any tips on how I can improve this? I'm not using a WAP and the PCI cards
have the aerials attached to the back of them, so the aerial is at the back
of each PC in-amongst the other cables etc. I don't want to use a
wall-mounted aerial as the point of using these cards is to avoid external
wires.

The signal strength is -73 dBm and the noise -81 dBm.

I heard something about changing channels, but does this work with
peer-to-peer? I tried in the device properties to change the IBSS Channel
Number from 11 to 1 on both machines, but when I view the connection
properties they are still using channel 11 ever after a reboot and IBSS says
1. How do I actually change the channel?

I have the latest Belkin drivers.

Thanks in advance for any tips
--
CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Old September 28th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nuckfut

In article ,
[email protected] says...
How can I improve signal strength on peer-to-peer 802.11g?

I have 2 x 54g Belkin wireless PCI cards in 2 PCs situated in separate rooms
about 25 metres apart with 2 walls in-between. Everything works fine but
the signal strength varies from Low to Very Low, and the speed from 5Mbps to
18Mbps. File copying takes quite a long time compared to my old wired
network.

Any tips on how I can improve this?

You can't really. A wall is a wall no matter what you stick into the
back of the card.

--
Nuckfut

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old September 28th 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anon

Hmm, so Wi-Fi is pretty rubbish then?

Incidentally what's the average Mbps of a BNC wired cable home network?

"Nuckfut" wrote in message
In article ,
[email protected] says...

Old September 28th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Anon" [email protected] com wrote in
:

Incidentally what's the average Mbps of a BNC wired cable home
network?

10 Mbits/sec

--
BRG
===
Old September 28th 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nuckfut

In article ,
[email protected] says...
Hmm, so Wi-Fi is pretty rubbish then?

Anything in the Ghz transmission range is pretty useless through solid
objects over any significant distance .

Old September 28th 03, 10:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anon

Thanks. Strange that when this is working at 18 Mbits/sec it seems slower
than my 10 Mbits cable home network was.

I also noticed that when the NT On-Access Scanner (?) crashed and closed,
everything sped up a bit. Any clues there?

Any ideas on how I change the channel - I've heard that helps but as I said
I couldn't seem to make it work (see original post for details).

Thanks in advance guys.

Old September 29th 03, 04:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

Passive reflectors and/or directional antennae could help but it depends
what the walls are made of.

Different channels could make a (small) difference.

Best solution is a WAP mounted high - the antennae on PCI cards are in a
very poor place - hidden behind the crate in a noisy environment....

Guy

Old September 29th 03, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anon

Thanks. I have directional antennae but unfortunately the one way they
won't point is the direction I need them to!

Can you advise how to change the channel, exactly?

Old October 16th 03, 05:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dave Stanton

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:41:44 +0100, Nuckfut wrote:

In article , [email protected]
says...
Hmm, so Wi-Fi is pretty rubbish then?

Anything in the Ghz transmission range is pretty useless through solid
objects over any significant distance .

Rules out Orange mobile phones then

Dave

Old October 16th 03, 11:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"Anon" [email protected] com wrote in message ...
How can I improve signal strength on peer-to-peer 802.11g?

I have 2 x 54g Belkin wireless PCI cards in 2 PCs situated in separate rooms
about 25 metres apart with 2 walls in-between. Everything works fine but
the signal strength varies from Low to Very Low, and the speed from 5Mbps to
18Mbps. File copying takes quite a long time compared to my old wired
network.

Sorry for late response to this thread, only just found it on Google.

I'm new to WiFi - got a Netgear 54mbps Access Point and PC card for
laptop, also got a 11mbps card for a handheld plus a 11mbps USB device
for experimenting with.

To date I am very disappointed with the range and performance,
no-where near what the manufacturers claim. For 300 feet knock off a
zero.

I did a little test recently, out of curiosity I transfered a 10MB
file between two computers using a WiFi link, the USB 11 mbps adapter
was used.

Using a stop watch it took 61 seconds = 1.31mbps, my SYSMON on Win98
showed the network transfer as roughly 187KB per second which is about
1.49mbps

Bearing in mind both readings were quite close I would assume they are
accurate.

Both computers were quite close to the Access Point and signal was
reported as good.

So, they claim 11mbps and in good conditions I get 1.5mbps, 1/7th of
what the makers claim.

Good eh!!!!

Geoff Lane