How do I secure my WiFi internet connection?

Old September 28th 03, 05:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
keefyp

Default How do I secure my WiFi internet connection?

My home pc has an NTL cable internet connection. I bought the NTL
recommended Actiontec wirelesss router and plugged it into my cable
modem.
And hey! I can now connect my WiFi laptop to the internet 100 yards
down the street.

But, I guess anyone else can do so as well.

How do I secure/protect my internet access?

I set up the wireless router using the standard set up routine that
they supplied, but there was no mention of how I protect access to my
cable connection.

I am reasonably pc literate but a beginner when it comes to this
stuff.

Advice please, or point me in the direction of a some
straightforwardhelp pages
Old September 29th 03, 04:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

Enable WEP on WAP and Wi-Fi cards - change keys weekly (?)

Use MAC address filtering to only allow connect by your Wi-Fi cards

Use fixed IP addresses

Change default IPs and passwords of your WAP, router etc.

Disable SSID broadcast

Control signal strength and dispersion - a few passive reflectors will help
keep RF where you want it and avoid giving your neighbours too good a
connection.

How secure is secure? What are you doing - genetic research, currency
trading?? If it's that sensitive don't broadcast it with wi-fi....

If you want it to be more secure use a VPN setup - even better use a bit of
cable ;-)

Guy

Old September 30th 03, 09:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Sumner

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:19:27 +0100, "Bigguy" wrote:

Enable WEP on WAP and Wi-Fi cards - change keys weekly (?)

Changing the keys weekly is pretty much a waste of time. WEP is broken
and a hacker can recover the keys from a few hours traffic.

How secure is secure? What are you doing - genetic research, currency
trading?? If it's that sensitive don't broadcast it with wi-fi....

If you want it to be more secure use a VPN setup - even better use a bit of
cable ;-)

This is the right approach, but if you go for VPN with sensitive data
ensure your VPN provider has a secure mechanism.
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/ has the details.

This is all a bit academic for the OP. If all you want to do is keep
your neighbors out of your NTL connection.

Set a password on the AP.
Set the AP to exclude all MAC addresses except those you want.
--
Peter Sumner
Old October 1st 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KeithP

All good advice from the responses but it's gone way over my head!

On Advanced Set up for the router, there are sections for:
WAN IP Address
Wireless Settings
LAN IP Address
DHCP Server
Services Blocking
Website Blocking
VPN Pass Through
Remote Management
Port Forwarding
DMZ Hosting
MAC Address Cloning

In Wireless settings, I can change the ESSID (whatever that is!) and
the Channel, and turn WEP to 64 0r 128 bit.

What on earth does "change keys" mean?

and "Use MAC address filtering "

and "USe fixed IP addresses"

and so on.

I would RTFM, but it's crap and doesn't explain all this stuff!

Keith