Help with sharing problem

Old September 28th 03, 11:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

Default Help with sharing problem

I have a home network with 3 pc's, all XP connected via a DG814 router/hub.
I want to plug my neighbour in so he can have occasional broadband access
but i don't want him to have access to my shared drives. How can i achieve
this ? Also is there a program that will allow me to monitor his bandwidth
usage and disconnect him without resorting to pulling the cable out.

Thanks

Old September 29th 03, 12:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Paul wrote:
I have a home network with 3 pc's, all XP connected via a DG814 router/hub.
I want to plug my neighbour in so he can have occasional broadband access
but i don't want him to have access to my shared drives. How can i achieve
this ? Also is there a program that will allow me to monitor his bandwidth
usage and disconnect him without resorting to pulling the cable out.

I reckon the easiest way to do this is to fit a second NIC to one of your
machines and run something like WinRoute Pro on it. This would make it
easy to control his access to your machines and to ADSL, and to monitor
the bandwidth and connection times, but it does require that you have a
machine running when he is accessing the ADSL.