Configuring WG602 - do I need router hub?

Old September 30th 03, 12:06 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
T Blandford

Default Configuring WG602 - do I need router hub?

I have just bought a Netgear WG602. I am trying to use it to connect
two computers together (dektop and laptop). I have a entrino laptop
(so it has a wirless card built in). I alos have a wireless card (PCI)
in the desktop (though I don't think I need this). I have plugged the
WG602 into the wired LAN port of my computer.

I want to be able to access files and share a DIAL UP internet
connection (using the desktop at as a gateway).

At the moment the laptop can see the accesspoint (with default name
NETGEAR). However it can't see the desktop. The desktop can see the
access point via its wireless card, but it appears not by its wired
LAN (i.e. by the direct cable connection).

Am I missing something here. Do I need an ethernet hub or router? If I
do whats the cheapest option?

I would appreciate any help.

Rafe
Old October 5th 03, 10:43 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Stork

In article ,
(T Blandford) wrote:

I have just bought a Netgear WG602. I am trying to use it to connect
two computers together (dektop and laptop). I have a entrino laptop
(so it has a wirless card built in). I alos have a wireless card (PCI)
in the desktop (though I don't think I need this). I have plugged the
WG602 into the wired LAN port of my computer.

I want to be able to access files and share a DIAL UP internet
connection (using the desktop at as a gateway).

At the moment the laptop can see the accesspoint (with default name
NETGEAR). However it can't see the desktop. The desktop can see the
access point via its wireless card, but it appears not by its wired
LAN (i.e. by the direct cable connection).

Am I missing something here. Do I need an ethernet hub or router? If I
do whats the cheapest option?

I would appreciate any help.

Rafe

Yes, to make it simpler, you need a router, like a DSL/Cable router that
has a modem "backup" port. While there may be more, the only one I'm
familar with are the Asante FR3004LC which can be purchased for ~$30-45
dollars. (Check out
www.froogle.com)

I used the Asante router, which has 4 10/100 ports in addition to a WLAN
port (for connecting to a DSL or cable modem), for a year with a modem
before I got DSL. Worked very well. Later, I added a SMC 2655W WAP
which connected to one of the 10/100 LAN ports on the Asante router.
Your Netgear WG602 WAP will interface in the same manner.

Hope this helps.

--Stork

--
Stork
Old October 6th 03, 01:33 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

T Blandford wrote:
I have just bought a Netgear WG602. I am trying to use it to connect
two computers together (dektop and laptop). I have a entrino laptop
(so it has a wirless card built in). I alos have a wireless card (PCI)
in the desktop (though I don't think I need this). I have plugged the
WG602 into the wired LAN port of my computer.

I want to be able to access files and share a DIAL UP internet
connection (using the desktop at as a gateway).

At the moment the laptop can see the accesspoint (with default name
NETGEAR). However it can't see the desktop. The desktop can see the
access point via its wireless card, but it appears not by its wired
LAN (i.e. by the direct cable connection).

Am I missing something here. Do I need an ethernet hub or router? If I
do whats the cheapest option?

You don't need anything else - just the right configuration.
Have you already set up Windows ICS on the desktop machine, and is it
sharing the dialup connection via the ethernet card? If so it should
configure the WAP by DHCP (which is enabled by default).