Multi users on network ... and on welcome screen ..... gah!

Old September 30th 03, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Default Multi users on network ... and on welcome screen ..... gah!

I have 4 systems which are all networked.
Some use XP, some use win98

Each of the other 3 systems uses my main XP Pro box to share the
internet connection.

I have also disabled simple file sharing in XP Pro to allow for more
flexible shares to be set up.

However, of course, for each user to access certain shares on the XP Pro
box, I have had to set up a user on XP Pro, in order to set a variety of
permissions for folders (access, read, write, deny etc)

Subsequently, I now have a list of 4 users on the welcome screen,
whereby I am only *ever* the single user who logs into this machine.

Why do all these users have to show on the welcome screen?

I created the accounts so they could use shares (in line with the
disabled simple file sharing) that they had permissions for.

When setting up these users, it seems they get added as local accounts
rather than 'network' accounts in order to be able to access the shares.
Indeed, I had to create the user 'locally' on the XP machine before I
could then set the permissions.

Am I doing something wrong? I have a feeling I am, and that I should be
setting users up not as local users?

I'd hate to have a 10 station network whereby i'd have 10 users all
presented to me at the welcome screen!

Is there another way to set up a user on XP Pro so that they can still
have whichever permissions I need to set, but without them showing on
the welcome screen??

FWIW, the network is a simple peer to peer TCP/IP ethernet setup.
The network works fine, ICS is working as it should, and shares and
permissions have no problems. I just don't see why I have to have so
many local users set up?

TIA
Old October 7th 03, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
TX2

In article ,
, a.k.a Peter Sumner says...

TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp will
let you specify which accounts appear on the welcome screen

Thanks ... been using that little util since early Win95, so should have
explored it better as I hadn't noticed this option.

Implemented, and is now just how I want it.

Anyone know if there is a web site that details which registry entries
TUI changes for each setting you can change?
Old October 7th 03, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Sumner

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:28:15 +0100, TX2
wrote:

In article ,
, a.k.a Peter Sumner says...

TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp will
let you specify which accounts appear on the welcome screen

Thanks ... been using that little util since early Win95, so should have
explored it better as I hadn't noticed this option.

Implemented, and is now just how I want it.

Anyone know if there is a web site that details which registry entries
TUI changes for each setting you can change?

You're welcome, but you did not say that you wanted to do it the hard
way. I don't know if its what TweakUI does, but the elder geek
recommends
http://www.theeldergeek.com/create_hidden_user_account.htm. I just
use TweakUI so I don't know how well this works
--
Peter Sumner