Access Point/Router

Old September 30th 03, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Guy Smith

Default Access Point/Router

Could anyone please explain to me what is the essential difference between a
wireless access point and a wireless router?
--
Guy Smith
Great Missenden, Bucks, England.

Old September 30th 03, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Guy Smith wrote:
Could anyone please explain to me what is the essential difference between a
wireless access point and a wireless router?

A wireless access point is basically the wireless version of an ethernet
hub - you can plug it into a router or another hub/switch, but you can't
plug it straight into a modem. Just as many routers have a built-in
switch, some are now available with a built-in wireless access point.